Colt Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I ordered the book for same day delivery. Frank Hamer is literally one of my top hero's. I am actually fairly disgusted with many of the comments in this thread. Lot of hate and judgement from folks who don't have the guts to pin a badge on and do the job. I have been in several shootings.....which folks might judge as wrong for not being in gunfights. I was more than happy to be faster than my opponents and not let it be a gunfight. As stated Hamer also got shot a lot.....you learn from that.
When folks start a sentence with "What I would do" tells me that you have never done, and you have not a clue what you would do. Commentary on the shooting from the helicopter in San Bernardino.....raise your hand if you have ever had to make that call? Anyone other than me. The SBSO has saved 100's of lives over the years terminating pursuits from the air since they had one of their helo's shot down in the Norco bank robbery. Chases the wrong way on a freeway on SoCal end up with innocents getting killed....period. I spent four years as a TFO in a police helicopter in San Bernardino County...so I know what I am talking about, and seen it first hand.
Hamer was a Righteous cop, pure and simple. A gentleman, a man who treated respectful criminals with dignity, and corrupt politicians like criminals.
Even today we have people who think Bin Laden should have been read "his rights" and "arrested"......I just never expected to find those types on this forum.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
This to me, is one of the most interesting books I ever read! I am just half way in the book but have learned much of the bloody history of Texas. I worked out of Rosenburg winter of 1963/1964 when president Kennedy was shot. The author go`s in great detail with names and dates of almost unbelievable shootings, lynchings, KKK violence, border violence etc more than I ever read before in one book! The Hamer connections are only icing on the cake! Somehow I get the feeling that when the author decided to write the book he wanted to really make Hamer a super hero, (which he was/is) but as he researched he found flaws and wrote about those too with no prejudice. Great writer! When I worked there in 1963 I talked with a very old Mexican gentleman that told me about badmen riding through when he was a boy probably about in the 1890`s or so, and he got so mad he started to shake talking about it! Like in the book, he said they would as soon shoot you as look at you! Now, back to the book!

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
At first the author definitely gave the impression he was a Hamer admirer. Normally (unless you're familiar with the writer) this would be a big red flag saying BIAS!! but then he tackles head on things Hamer did that cost him his job and doesn't white wash it at all. but as we can see these did not involve him doing racist things (he fought the KKK and stopped dozens of lynchings), but his early lack of patience with reporters, for example, slapping them around and shooting over their heads on a busy street. Something I would be just fine with if Texan Ted Cruz did it today. But based on his other books I knew there was nothing to worry about. Just like his great book on the heroic yet unknown Harry Morse, early CA. sheriff, he covers everything, good or bad about the guy. And it really is a book about Texas history as well (as mentioned above). The most frustrating being political "bosses" who own entire counties which did happened in every state and what they got/get away with. If it wasn't for stuffed ballot boxes, LBJ would have had a different future, for example.

Edit: Interview with the author here...

http://www.fox7austin.com/good-day/136237271-story

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I just read up to the part where the Bonnie & Clyde part starts. However I read his old auto biography, "I am Frank Hamer" that went into it extensively. That is one great writer that get`s AAA+ for his homework! Some Hollywood producer should put out a tv series on Hamer. If it followed this book they could have a hit bigger than Gunsmoke, better from all standpoints and factual. While I have Web`s book, I never read it in detail. I knew only roughly Tex`s bloody history, this one get`s through to me. Askin`s book "Unrepentant Sinner" touch`s it but not near as well.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Finished the book and it`s a keeper! I could see a TV series made on it and think it would be the best ever if done right. I could seen James Arness playing the part but that`s not possible. Maybe Kurt Russell if he was a half foot taller. His last adventure was harassing LBJ on election fraud. Hamer has to be the most notable and experienced Law Man that bridged the old west to modern age. Or any other time in our history.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Dang you Guys! You caused me to have to buy the book, at Barnes & Noble, at full price no less! I'm only about 1/2 way though, so haven't gotten to the Bonnie & Clyde chapter yet.

At this point, nothing has changed my original stated position on the B&C incident. If we can believe even half what Boessenecker reports, Hamer did a lot of good work. But as Boessenecker states, Hamer had a problem controlling his temper (a problem I can identify with in my younger years), and seemed to have a propensity to take the law into his own hands in his later years. Was that beneficial to society? Perhaps it was. Was it necessary? Maybe. Was it lawful. Nope! As someone stated above, police action shootings are not always as "sanitary" as we might like them to be. That, I'm sure, is true even today. I'm OK with that. But based on Boessenecker's reporting, B&C was not an isolated incident. I'm fairly certain that Bonnie Parker was just what we think she was, and was probably almost as deserving her fate as was Clyde Barrow. Was it lawful? No freaking way!

As to nyeti's rancid post I offer the following excerpt from Texas Ranger,page 194, first paragraph;
"...they ignored the obvious: that the rule of law is paramount, that constitutional liberties are sacred, and that a well-regulated police force is essential to a free society."

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
From what I read the politics down there were unbelievably crooked. The very last pages of the book aren't too flattering for LBJ. Many lawmen back then according to the book, were also crooked. People set up by LEO to attempt bank robbery and Le would off them for the $5,000 reward. KKK was big in those days. B&C killed 9 lawmen plus 6 civilians. That doesn't include others they wounded etc. Today there is a lot of protest about LE. From my impression given by the book, today doesn't began to touch the way it was back then. The book was a big eye opener for me. The B&C shooting was similar to the Finicom shooting, but not really as Finicom was a gentleman, no record. They even had a eye in the sky, radio`s, armour, a army. B&C were killers with records, jail escapes, and there was no way they would have surrendered. I dont know of any way possible they could have been stopped otherwise in that day and age (nor today) without bloodshed. They were bought and paid for for almost two years and had long ago crossed the line.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Finicom isn't in the book. I meant the two ambushes were about the same. Finicom was killed last January in a road block in Oregon basically because he and others were protesting against the BLM. Also the Bundys were there and arrested. Maybe this will refresh your memory of the BLM protests. I once met Finicom when I was trail riding on his lease. Seemed a nice guy.
Robert 'LaVoy' Finicum, killed in Oregon shooting, was Arizona foster parent and rancher | OregonLive.com
The ambush of B&C and Finicom were very similar EXCEPT B&C were killers that were sure to shoot back if stopped and Finicom had no record and was a peace loving man. Today LE has many more tools and manpower behind them compared to Texas 1934 and yet in 2016 this was a bad unjustified shoot. In the B&C ambush, I don't see how lawmen could have taken them alive without killing them plus likely would have got killed trying.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the tip, just bought the Kindle edition from Amazon. I'll start reading it at lunch.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Finicom isn't in the book. I meant the two ambushes were about the same. Finicom was killed last January in a road block in Oregon basically because he and others were protesting against the BLM. Also the Bundys were there and arrested. Maybe this will refresh your memory of the BLM protests. I once met Finicom when I was trail riding on his lease. Seemed a nice guy.
Robert 'LaVoy' Finicum, killed in Oregon shooting, was Arizona foster parent and rancher | OregonLive.com
The ambush of B&C and Finicom were very similar EXCEPT B&C were killers that were sure to shoot back if stopped and Finicom had no record and was a peace loving man. Today LE has many more tools and manpower behind them compared to Texas 1934 and yet in 2016 this was a bad unjustified shoot. In the B&C ambush, I don't see how lawmen could have taken them alive without killing them plus likely would have got killed trying.
Thanks!
I recognize the Bundy name, but can't remember ever hearing about Finicom.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I live relatively close, hour to a hour and half from both, but this is the wide open west where we drive that far just to get out for lunch. I have listened to both and their family's on local talk radio as the talk show host is very sympathetic with both and knew them well. I have been trail riding on both of their spreads or BLM lease`s. It`s been big news out here. Both are relatively close to St George Utah but both went up near Bend Oregon to help protest a similar BLM gripe up there and that's where Finicom was shot. Google has plenty on it.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I live relatively close, hour to a hour and half from both, but this is the wide open west where we drive that far just to get out for lunch. I have listened to both and their family's on local talk radio as the talk show host is very sympathetic with both and knew them well. I have been trail riding on both of their spreads or BLM lease`s. It`s been big news out here. Both are relatively close to St George Utah but both went up near Bend Oregon to help protest a similar BLM gripe up there and that's where Finicom was shot. Google has plenty on it.
I didn't keep up with the first Bundy/BLM clash, but I did follow the second a little. I know nothing about grazing rights/BLM practices, so it's hard for me to form an intelligent opinion.
But from what little I've read, it seems the ranchers had a legitimate gripe.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I have finished the book and throughly enjoyed it. Also another book; "Six years with the Texas Rangers" by ex-ranger James Gillett. I am posting them for sale in the classified section at 1/2 what I paid plus shipping.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts