Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any books devoted to just the Python or even Snake guns? I have done some searching and cannot find much. Basically the only thing I keep running into are books on Python assembly/disassembly. I find it hard to believe there are not multiple books on the subject and the fascinating history of these great guns. If anyone knows of anything on the topic I would love a helpful shove in the right direction. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
I am not aware of any 'Snake' books. An article written by Masaad Ayoob years ago about the Python is available online and offers good information. The Book of Colt Firearms has information for several snake guns but those models are not the focus of the work.

Most contemporary articles I have seen regarding the Python are filled with errors.

The archives of this forum offer a wealth of information exceeding most other sources.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read the Ayoob stuff and it is indeed the best info I have found, aside from here. Seems like a void waiting to be filled, I would buy a book about the history of these guns.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Outside of compiling articles from the older gun magazines extolling their looks and how they contributed barrels to be made into 'Smolts' and 'Coogers' for PPC - along with a few appearances in movies and crime novels, that void will keep on needing to be filled.

Apparently, there's no 'fascinating history' attached beyond their being currently in vogue and out of production.

Their histories are on the thin side, since they never 'did' anything historical like the Single Action Army and Government Models did - they weren't used for magnum cartridge development like the large-frame Smith & Wessons were, they were almost too expensive for cops, and came along almost too late on the target/combat scene before being overtaken by more popular autos.

The distinguishing points of the Pythons are fit and finish, and they were Colt's eventual answer to S&W's Registered Magnum - hand-fitted, high-polished and super-smooth - the epitome' of revolver manufacturing as done by the boys at Hartford.

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
Seven Serpents is a great coffee table book...it has some wrong information but great photos and worth it just for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts