Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few Colt's in my family's collection. I did not realize the value of some (all) of them. I had no idea how much they have appreciated. When I saw how much they are worth I bought a few more.
I am now terribly horse bit, snake bit, whatever. I am going to be buying more Colts (mostly revolvers), in fact, probably only Colts for the foreseeable future.

The folks posting here have a store of knowledge that really makes me feel ignorant; ignorant like I haven't felt in a long time. I'm not looking to skin anyone, but I don't want to get taken, and it seems like there are allot of people with some knowledge that want to swindle "new" collectors like me. I just want to be able to tell what is and what is not a fair deal, and let my brain hold my wallet rather than my heart. Because, I look at a Diamond Back .22 for thousands of dollars, and, quite frankly, I want it. One part of my brain is hitting the other part with a baseball bat and screaming insanity for even thinking about paying so much for a .22 revolver, and the other part is in some sort of siren induced firearms enchantment.

I can watch what they're selling for on Gunbroker to get a snapshot of the market, but again, I suddenly feel very ignorant, and I've been around guns and Colts my whole life. I just was always more concerned with shooting them rather than collecting them. I can find nice examples in gun stores for X price, and then on the web a seemingly similar revolver can sell for way over or way under it... There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rhyme or reason except on this forum, where there are actual experts...

The request is simple. Can you recommend some good books for me to read on the subject of collectible Colts (especially double action revolvers)? Is there one that everyone who is becoming a Colt collector should read?

I'm certainly not looking to short-circuit the years of experience and knowledge that many of you have spent a lifetime accumulating. I am not looking to become an "expert" by reading one book, or even ten. I'm just a guy who has inherited some fine revolvers and 1911s, that I would never sell, had no idea were so valuable, and I now want to add an expand to it for my children and their children, and want to do so in an intelligent way.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The Book of Colt Firearms by Sutherland and Wilson, even if Larry Wilson is not one of my favorite people. Don't even consider Standard Catalog of Colt Firearms by Rick Sapp - rife with mistakes. Some good pictures if you can figure out which captions are wrong.

Buck

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
What Buck said. If you could have only one Colt book that covers every known model, this is the book. There are other good books that cover certain models, but for the overview you can't beat this one.
I suggest the 3rd Edition, which has an addendum with serial numbers into the 1990s.

The Sapp book is, well, unsappisfactory.:confused:

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
I agree - Sutherland's book is a 'go-to' reference for serious guys, and if you're serious, you'll pick up a copy, soonest.

As you narrow your field of interest, there are other books to recommend - but read as much as possible before you buy - and make friends with those who collect what you're interested in, and ask their advice, and to have them point out nuances.

And - be both respectful and thankful for what knowledge they impart - because those guys will help your collection grow into something to be proud of.

Good Hunting!

·
Registered
223 Posts
You have a problem sir.

A FUN problem, but it will only get progressively worse.

It also is contagious. Keep away from family, as you may become an outcast due to repeated, high dollar purchases. Hee hee

Seek help.

If there is any for what we have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts