Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For someone that is NOT a great fan of the post 1968 Colts,J frames,(although a nice,uncatalogued MK.III O.P. has helped cure that) as well as NOT being a great fan of the .357 magnum round(.40 and over please),I have been looking at a nickled Mk. III Border Patrol.

According to the "Blue Book",only about 1,100 were made in nickle,and I think a tad over 5k in blue(matte blue?), As far as I can see,they are just a regular Trooper Mk.III.4" Nickled,with the "Border Patrol" roll mark on side of bbl.

Never have been able to acertain just how many were actually "issued" to "B.P.",and this gun was NOT a I.S. B. P. gun.

Condition is 95%-98% all original,including stocks. I know what B. Book says for price. Can get this one from between $500 and $550. Have seen few on the "auction sites" to compare it with,and I only do "live",FTF dealings.

Any ideas??? Thanks.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The very few first issue 38spl guns were never available to the public and all were sold directly to the Border Patrol in the early 50's and they are scarce as hens teeth. Less than 500 made if I recall correctly. I don't believe the later J frame 357 mag versions were ever actually used by the Border Patrol, but merely a commercial attempt by Colt using the same name in the 70's. When I purchased mine some years ago, I was unable to find a link to any use of the J frame 357 by the US Border Patrol, but since I was too cheap to invest in a letter, and too lazy to do any extensive research, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
PS..Price sounds more than reasonable....I would jump on it. How many Colts with a production run of only 1100 can be purchased for 500 bucks? Can't pay too much...you can only pay it too soon.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
I have seen genuine Border Patrol marked models.

These are nothing but the Trooper Mark III with the BP markings on the barrel.
They also have stamped BP marks and issue numbers on the right side of the frame.

I've never heard just how many the BP actually bought.

On another forum there was a post by a retired Border Patrolman who said some interesting things about the First issue BP Colt and the Mark III version:

"I have nearly 28 years in the Border Patrol - I joined the Border Patrol in 1978. At that time, there were still Border Patrol Trooper Mark III's floating around for sale. Most of us young Agents did not buy one because we were broke - pay wasn't very good then. Besides, if you could afford one, the Colt Python was much more desirable - beautiful finnish. We were issued S&W Model 19s with .357 158 grain flat nose ammo - kicked like hell and you were night blind after firing one shot in the dark. I am not sure when they stopped issuing Colts to the Border Patrol but it was before 1978 - I'll make some calls and see if I can find out. About six years ago I visited our National Firearms Unit in Altoona, Pennsylvania. They had two crates of Colt .38 Special "Border Patrol" revolvers - there must have been at least 100 of them. They had been found at one of the Border Patrol Sector headquarters and were not on any inventory - amazing! They were scheduled for destruction (We Agents are not allowed to purchase a Border Patrol issued firearm nor can they be retired with us) but nobody had the heart to take a torch to them. I hope they are still there in the crates"

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
I've got an identical match to yours Lonewolf, serial # J87000 that I bought almost 10 years ago. Since than I have seen darn few of these sell anywhere. Kind of hard to gather info on also. I was informed that they made 1,152 in nickel between 1971 and 1973. The late Bill Jordan had a matched set, serial numbers J66140 and J66141. They are scarce, but don't have any pricing examples to compare to. Personally, I will never sell mine.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Bud,

I found a 1988 article on these MKIII BP's. It showed the nickel production:
1971 - 375
1972 - 632
1973 - 5
1974 - 140
Total - 1152

Total Blued (1970-75) - 5356

250 of the nickel models were shipped to the North Carolina State Patrol in 1971. This is per Marty Huber, Colt historian at that time.

I would jump on it. FWIW I paid $595 for a mint blued example three years ago.

The article also says: "The 1970 vintage Colt Border Patrol will someday be a highly sought after revolver by Colt collectors."

I'm also curious. Was this BP cataloged? Or was it like the Courier?

B.W.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. About what I figured on a fair price,for a nickled one. Will try and get owner to let me put 18 rds through it this weekend,as it is not, NIB,and will get some yearly range time. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif But in the 95-98% range,as I said.

Probably it is "TOO NEW" for my tastes,and a pre war Colt or S&W will come up and my funds will go to that!

Just curious,to id the "blued" Border Patrols,were the standard gloss blue,or a matte type?? Never have seen a blued one!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
907 Posts
They're mostly gloss, maybe just a little less polish on the barrel, cylinder latch and cylinder flutes. The frame is both matte and gloss as on the dual tone '47-'57 models. Definitely not totally matte, like the Peacekeeper or post-war Commando.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I like mine. I have the original stocks, just like these better. Did Colt make a lot of models with the recessed cycl.?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
No, the recessed cylinder was strictly a very early Mark III feature.

The design was soon changed to the "ring wall" design cylinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts