Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a Nickle one,in nice shape,sitting around for several years at $495;no box,etc,and gun shows a little wear. Other than the "roll marking",I don't see any difference between the B.P. and a MarkIII Trooper. Almost like the Marshall model from the mid 50's compared to the Official Police,but at least the Marshall had a rounded butt(but so did the O.P. 2",and it could be ordered on the 4" guns,like some NYPD pieces).So,"sideways step".

My question is;did the U.S. Border Patrol ever buy any of these Colts and issue them,or was the name,a "marketing gimmick"?? Bud

·
Registered
909 Posts
2nd. issue. I found one some time back and really hadn't heard of it before. Blue Book says they were built 1970-75, less than 7,000 total. Does anyone know how they were cataloged by Colt? Were they a step down from the Trooper MKIII? A step sideways?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
As far as I know, the Border Patrol WAS an official US Border Patrol pistol.

I think Colt was led to expect a larger order from the USBP and had a large stock of BP marked barrels.

When the orders weren't forthcoming, Colt used up the barrels on a short commercial run.
Since the Border Patrol was nothing more than the Trooper Mark III with a different roll marked barrel, this was no problem.

Although I've only seen a few Border Patrol models over the years, it SEEMS as though the bluing wasn't quite as nice as the Trooper Mark III.
On the genuine issue BP-marked guns I saw, the bluing was a definite step down.

·
Registered
909 Posts
dfariswheel: Do you remember if the genuine issue BP's had any special markings? For instance, the first issue BP's had U.S.B.P. engraved on the backstrap. Were the stocks standard MKIII?

Thanks, just trying to find pieces of the puzzle. B.W.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
The issue Border Patrol was an exact duplicate of the Trooper Mark III, right down to the same checkered grips, only with a possibly less polished blue job.

The grips on the several issue guns I saw were the cheap, orange colored light "hardwood" Colt used in later years.

It's been years ago I saw these, but I remember at least one of them had some markings on the right side of the frame, just above the trigger.

Sorry, I can't remember what they were.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I guess I'll probably gunk this up, but, ... wasn't there also Border Patrol marked revolvers before the Mk III's? I'm sure I remember pictures of one, somewhere ... it was like a regular Official Police, 4", .38 blue with an extra-heavy barrel?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
Yes, there was a now rare and valuable Colt Border Patrol revolver.

It was made in 1952, and only 400 were made.

It was basically an Official Police with a heavy barrel.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I though the "Border Patrol" was Smith and Wesson. I saw a Smith and Wesson revolver in a gun store a few days ago in stainless steel or nickel finish that looked about like a Model 19 (or 66) that had Border Patrol Engraved on the side of the barrel.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I though the "Border Patrol" was Smith and Wesson. I saw a Smith and Wesson revolver in a gun store a few days ago in stainless steel or nickel finish that looked about like a Model 19 (or 66) that had Border Patrol Engraved on the side of the barrel.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someday I am going to build me a 1952 Border Patrol. Already have a less than mint 4" O.P. "shooter",now am just looking for the bull barrel. Been thinking an early Trooper or "357" 4 inch bbl.,then do a little front sight work,and I'd have the "concept" of the early Border Patrol.(some books say that the Border Patrol was on a D Frame-well unless that "bull barrel" was made of lead or depleted uranium,they ain't adding 12 0z. to a 4" P.P.S. that weighed 23 oz! Bud

·
Registered
909 Posts
Lonewolf - the bull barrel on those (I have a friend who has one, the only I've ever seen) looks suspiciously similar to the barrel of the Officer's Model Special. Hold out for one of those, nip it to 4" and you would be real close. I guess the theory was that if you ran out of ammo you could use it as a club...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts