Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 357 nickel Border Patrol on consignment. Serial number is J505xx. Dealer has it marked as 1985 vintage. Looks to be about 90% since it has a blemish (old rust?) on the left side just behind the cylinder and another tarnish looking mark on the cylinder itself. Asking price is $649.00. I always get a little excited when I find a Colt on consignment but don't know much about this model. Is the price realistic? Is it a good shooter? How about appreciation? Is this a good investment Colt? Any other comments on what I should look for? Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
J505xx was made in 1971.
The numbers that year started at J50201 and ended at J72200.

The Border Patrol is simply the Colt Trooper Mark III with a different barrel mark.
It was produced from 1970 to 1975.
There were 5,356 made in blue, and 1,152 made in bright nickel.
An unknown number were actually bought by the US Border Patrol, the rest sold commercially.

These are starting to get collectors interest, especially in nickel.

Normally, I'd say $649 is too much for a 90% model, but Colt prices have started to skyrocket, so this may no longer be too far out of line.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I agree with dfaris, especially for 30 year and older Colts, they are going to go up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll head over to that gunshop again this week and at least drool a little bit. Not sure that I can justify the $650 but maybe I can make an offer if it sits on the shelf long enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts