Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Colt SAA owner living in Canada one of the biggest gun related challenges I have is coming up with a competent gunsmith that truly understands how these guns work and how to fix them properly. I've talked with Jim Martin a number of times over the past year, trying to come up with a way to get my Colt's to him so he can work on them. I believe I have found a solution to my problem.

Borderview International Firearm Logistics offers a variety of firearm import and export services for individuals and businesses. They are easy to find on the internet (not sure if I am allowed to post the link to their website?). The services they offer along with pricing is easy to find on their website.

As of this morning I have submitted the initial paperwork to have two of my Colt SAA's temporarily imported into the US from Canada so that Jim can work on them.

Jim and I agreed that I should share this here as it may benefit other international Colt SAA owners.
My plan is to update this post as I move through the temporary import process with Borderview. I'm pretty excited about this so far and hope that my Colt's will be on the way to Jim soon.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Good Luck with your Colt, I am sure it is a challenge when you live in a different country. You will sure like what Jim does to a Colt SAA. There are not enough "O's" in smooth to describe the action when you get it back.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Good Luck with your Colt, I am sure it is a challenge when you live in a different country. You will sure like what Jim does to a Colt SAA. There are not enough "O's" in smooth to describe the action when you get it back.
wolfcoln, you sure got that right! I have a Bisley from my dad's family that I got about 3 years ago. The action worked, but when I took it apart, it was a total "train wreck" inside. The Bolt tines were there, but bent using the wrong side at the Cam. Jim had to do a lot of work to get this one back in operation, but today, it is slicker than when new! I don't think Jim has ever forgiven me for sending it to him though, LOL! Here is the Bolt:

1903 Bisley Bolt_Top.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First update! I've been corresponding with Borderview for the past week and a bit since making initial contact. Today I met with Borderview President & Operations Manager Joel VanderHoek and transferred the two Colt SAA's I am sending to Jim Martin. Joel was very professional and easy to deal with. I feel confident at this point my guns are in good hands. It should take about a week for the temporary import permit to be approved. I will keep the update's coming. One step closer!

·
Registered
297 Posts
First update! I've been corresponding with Borderview for the past week and a bit since making initial contact. Today I met with Borderview President & Operations Manager Joel VanderHoek and transferred the two Colt SAA's I am sending to Jim Martin. Joel was very professional and easy to deal with. I feel confident at this point my guns are in good hands. It should take about a week for the temporary import permit to be approved. I will keep the update's coming. One step closer!
Are your Colts pre-98 1st Gens Buff; being sent across as Antiques? Or is the Borderview outfit handling registered restricteds for you?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
wolfcoln, you sure got that right! I have a Bisley from my dad's family that I got about 3 years ago. The action worked, but when I took it apart, it was a total "train wreck" inside. The Bolt tines were there, but bent using the wrong side at the Cam. Jim had to do a lot of work to get this one back in operation, but today, it is slicker than when new! I don't think Jim has ever forgiven me for sending it to him though, LOL! Here is the Bolt:

View attachment 462770

I don't think I'll ever forget that one,your ears were probably burning a lot while I was working on it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it took a bit longer than I expected but the paperwork went through, the guns shipped and according to my tracking info my Colt's should be with Jim Martin now!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well my Colt's have completed their return journey home and I couldn't be happier! I sent two 2nd Gen SAA's in .357 down to Jim Martin through Borderview. The action work Jim did on my Colt's is amazing, I only wish I could have got them to him sooner! I spoke with Jim on the phone this evening and let him know how pleased I am. Jim is always a pleasure to talk with, I must learn something new about Colt's every time I talk with him.

Borderview International is a top notch outfit to deal with. Their communication was excellent as was their service. The only frustrating part about the whole process was the wait for the temporary import paperwork and the export paperwork to clear. In the grand scheme of things it was a pretty quick process, I was just anxious if not impatient to get them back!

Send your Colt SAA's to Jim, he'll look after you. If you need an Import Service to help with the process and you live in a country where they can help I highly recommend you reach out to Borderview International. In speaking with Jim tonight it sounds like at least one other board member is going to benefit from the services offered by Borderview.

I'm already planning my next shipment!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well my Colt's have completed their return journey home and I couldn't be happier! I sent two 2nd Gen SAA's in .357 down to Jim Martin through Borderview. The action work Jim did on my Colt's is amazing, I only wish I could have got them to him sooner! I spoke with Jim on the phone this evening and let him know how pleased I am. Jim is always a pleasure to talk with, I must learn something new about Colt's every time I talk with him.

Borderview International is a top notch outfit to deal with. Their communication was excellent as was their service. The only frustrating part about the whole process was the wait for the temporary import paperwork and the export paperwork to clear. In the grand scheme of things it was a pretty quick process, I was just anxious if not impatient to get them back!

Send your Colt SAA's to Jim, he'll look after you. If you need an Import Service to help with the process and you live in a country where they can help I highly recommend you reach out to Borderview International. In speaking with Jim tonight it sounds like at least one other board member is going to benefit from the services offered by Borderview.

I'm already planning my next shipment!
Good to know all went well. "IrunGuns" could probably do the same and I'd imagine the guys at Prophet R. should be able to too.. but, excellent knowing 100% for sure that Borderview definitely-does!

Going to keep them in mind myself down the road. It's really a shame that fine & specialized pistolsmiths are in such short supply up here compared to the States.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts