Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a series 80 government model last month. It shoots like a champ, putting 7 shots into a single ragged hole at 25 yrds with my 230 gr cast lead RN handload (5.0 gr 231). Slide is marked "Colt MKIV Series 80", and on the other side under the ejection port "government model". The slide and sides of the frame are so highly polished that I can see my reflection in them. The top of the slide and underside of the frame are matte. It came a set of pearl grips with Colt medallions (I have never seen this type before on a 1911. They are marked Ajax inside) and a spare set of Hogue finger groove wrap-around rubber grips. I am using the Hogues because I was afraid to fire it with the pearls for fear of damaging them. Serial number is FG95xxx. Two questions: When was this gun made? and What is it worth? I paid $400 out the door, but I am not sure if Series 80s are worth less than older government models. Thanks for any info.

[This message has been edited by OfficalPoliceRev (edited 09-07-2003).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Steve,
Thanks for the info. My Series 80 is in at least 95% condition or better. It had been fired, but not a whole lot. I had guessed about 1991 or so for the date so I was close! What a sweet shooter!

·
Registered
68 Posts
My SN guide doesn't quite go that high, but I'd reckon your gun was made in the late '80s. The Blue Book shows $400 as being the going price for that model in 90% condition, but I've seen 'em go for more. If yours is in 90% or better condition, be happy!

Steve

·
Registered
88 Posts
It seems that the price for pre-enhanced series 80 .45's have been going up a lot lately, in my local area anyway. I have recently seen several go for almost as much as 70 series pistols. When did Colt stop making them in the early 90s?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts