Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Several months ago I purchased a really interesting Colt revolver to add to my OPs and OMT. Through research, I have determined it to be a Pocket Positive. It is in blue finish, beautiful mirror polish, 2 1/2" barrel, hard rubber grips. The revolver is chambered in .32 S&W Long (A.K.A. .32 Colt New Police). I have 3 questions about this revolver:
1) When was it made? Serial number is 85xxx.
2) This revolver has no caliber marking in the usual spot on the left side of the barrel, where the model name and caliber usually are. Why might this be? I thought maybe the factory was still in transition from the .32 Long Colt, and maybe had not invented their name for the .32 S&W Long yet.
The only markings on the barrel are the patent dates: "COLT'S PT FIREARMS MFG CO. HARTFORD, CT U.S.A AUG 5, 1884, JUNE 5, 1900, JULY 4, 1905"
And finally:
3) This revolver is so tiny, does it use a frame that is actually smaller than the D-Frame, or is it a D-Frame with a shortened grip?
It's a great shooter, and I've already fired about 100 rounds of assorted lead .32 Long factory and handloads, and even some lead .32 ACP handloads!
Thanks in advance for all your help guys!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
Looks like a 1919 Pocket Positive.
Production started in 1905 and ended in 1940.

The original model of this was the Colt New Pocket Model, made from 1893 until it became the Positive in '05. The only real difference is, the Positive had Colt's new "Positive Lock" feature.

The guns were available in .32 Colt and .32 S&W.
Barrels were 2.5", 3.5", 5", and 6".
Finishes were blue or nickel.
Early grips were checkered hard "gutta percha" rubber with the oval Colt logo.

The Pocket Positive was not a "D" frame, but was the direct ancestor of the Detective Special/Police Positive. Colt didn't use the term "D Frame" until 1947.

Colt often didn't mark the caliber and model info on some turn of the Century revolvers.

Many people are surprised that Colt continued making the Pocket for so many years after the introduction of the Detective Special and Police Positive models.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dfariswheel,
Thanks for the speedy reply and very valuable information. I was certain that it was a pre-war gun. Those pre-war bluing jobs were awesome!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts