Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have just stopped by from the S&W forum, because I was wondering if you guys could tell me when my Detective Special was made? It is blued, 2" barrel, .38 special caliber. It has the lengthened ejector rod that is almost even with the muzzle, but it does NOT have the shortened grip frame, or the later ejector rod shroud. My guess is sometime not too long after WWII. Serial number is 763xxx. Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your detective was made in 1960, Colt made the detective like you describe until I believe 1969...If anyone knows for sure let us know....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
My best guess, without more details, is Det. Spec. (second issue) and it was made in 1960. They continued to make them until 1973 when the shrouded version came out. LOL Dick

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for letting us know diamonback68, the Detective is a great little carry gun. I always liked the older model better for some reason....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the speedy replies! I am going to shoot it tommorrow with some standard verocity handloads. I will take it easy on the +p!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shot the Detective special yesterday. It's a real tack driver for a snubby. It will stay in the 9 ring at 25 yards! Great little gun!
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts