Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I closed an unbelieveable deal today on a beautiful pair of Colt revolvers. The first is a pre-war Officer's Model .38 special. The barrel is marked "Officer's Model 38" I know that it's a pre-war because it has the checkered backstrap and cylinder latch. It also has the smaller rear sight, and the adjustable front sight. Its grips are small (not oversized target) checked walnut with a diamond around the screw hole, and Colt medallions. Serial number is 457xxx.
The second revolver is an original model 1917 .45 ACP. It is blued with all of the U.S Property markings, and the smooth grips and lanyard loop. The finish is flawless, so the dealer said it might be re-blued, but I don't think it was. The red tinge in the blue (rust blue) shows under a flashlight. Could it be a WWI gun that escaped being rebuilt and parkerized? Serial number on the M1917 is 193xxx. Both guns are flawless. Neither has even a turn line on the cylinders. I would rate them as 99% or as new. Price was an unbelievable $500 out the door for the pair! Thanks to anyone that can give me dates of birth on either gun.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
OPR

Where on earth did you get such beautiful guns at such an unbelievable price?
If the book is right, the OM was made in 1920 and the 1917 was made in 1919. Maybe someone could verify the authenticity of those stocks on the OM. How can it be that you could find such great old guns in this condition? Can you post pictures? Dick

·
Registered
58 Posts
The diamond checkered walnut stocks would be correct for a 1920 OMT. They should have the deep dish style medallions. Back then Colt actually had a left & right medallion ...both horses face the front on either side. I'd say that's a once in a lifetime deal if they are near new and not refinished ....the OMT alone is worth near double what you got the pair for. The older 1st & 2nd issue OMT's are hard to come by in mint condition.

------------------
Jeff

·
Registered
535 Posts
COWABUNGA! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OfficalPoliceRev:
I closed an unbelieveable deal today on a beautiful pair of Colt revolvers. The first is a pre-war Officer's Model .38 special. The barrel is marked "Officer's Model 38" I know that it's a pre-war because it has the checkered backstrap and cylinder latch. It also has the smaller rear sight, and the adjustable front sight. Its grips are small (not oversized target) checked walnut with a diamond around the screw hole, and Colt medallions. Serial number is 457xxx.
The second revolver is an original model 1917 .45 ACP. It is blued with all of the U.S Property markings, and the smooth grips and lanyard loop. The finish is flawless, so the dealer said it might be re-blued, but I don't think it was. The red tinge in the blue (rust blue) shows under a flashlight. Could it be a WWI gun that escaped being rebuilt and parkerized? Serial number on the M1917 is 193xxx. Both guns are flawless. Neither has even a turn line on the cylinders. I would rate them as 99% or as new. Price was an unbelievable $500 out the door for the pair! Thanks to anyone that can give me dates of birth on either gun.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the speedy replies and the great information! I will try to post pictures, but I can't guarantee how they will come out, as my digital camera makes close pictures washed out and full of glare. I've been going nuts trying to make it work right!
Barrocky,
Thanks for the info about both horses facing forward on those medallions, which are "deep dished" as you said. Now I'll have to dig out my pre-war Official Police and check its grips too!
By the way, do any of you guys have any idea what the 1917 could be worth in the mint condition that it's in?

[This message has been edited by OfficalPoliceRev (edited 10-13-2003).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
O P R

We would need to know a lot more about that 1917, for instance, any other markings such as Army, Navy? Barrel length? Are grip straps checkered? Adjustable sights, front and rear? Anything unusual from a plain jane gun? It needs to be carefully looked at, cause that gun COULD BE worth many times what you paid for both guns.
Try the pix, we've seen fuzzy pictures before.
LOL Dick

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dick,
I'm trying with the pix. With regards to details: The 1917 has "Colt DA .45" on the left side of the barrel, "United States Property" on the bottom of the barrel (under ejector rod), "COLT'S PT FA MFG CO HARTFORD CT USA PAT'D AUG 5, 1884, JUN 5, 1900, JULY 4 1905" on top of the barrel, just above the cylinder latch appears an M in a circle. The left leg of the M has a hook on it. A letter "S" appears just behind the trigger guard. The usual rampant appears under the cylinder latch. On the butt is "U.S ARMY MODEL 1917 No 393xx". Barrel length is 5". Sights are fixed. Grip strap is not checkered, but cylinder latch is flat type and is checkered. Laynard loop is on butt. Finish is a medium (semi-dull) blue. Grips are smooth walnut. The finish is 99-100%. I can find no discrernable nicks or scratches anywhere on the metal surfaces. The grips have a couple of dings in the butt. I hope this is enough information to give you a better idea as to value.
As far as how I closed the deal, a friend of mine is an FFL. He took in a collection of revolvers from an estate. I keep in touch with him, and he told me about them, and that they were priced to move. He also had a 1920's vintage Army Special in .41 Long Colt. finish was immaculate, but I passed on it because the DA pull was herendous, and because of the ammo availability situation of the .41 Long Colt. Sometimes luck smiles down!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
O P R

Without seeing the gun, it looks like you have what is called a "1917 Army" (not "commercial", they demand a little more) and could be worth $1200-1300 to a Colt collector of that era. A friend of mine recently spent $550 for a beater re-hab condition "1917 Army" because he wanted a project. You sure didn't go wrong with your purchase and you aught to buy your friend a beer.
As far as the .41 Army Special, forget the caliber and horrendous DA pull, that gun could be worth $600.
I hope this gives you some idea about your "find" and good luck with your new toys.
Dick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts