Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Colt Model 1903 Army today from a pawn shop. Spied it last weedend at a show and went back to finish the deal. Finish is thin but the gun is all there and never touched. Both grips are serial numbered to the pistol in pencil. The screws havn't been touched either. Bore is good and timing is OK.

I don't see many of these around in any condition.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Nice looking original piece. One advantage of the 1903 Model,is that it had the proper size .357 bore to handle regular .38 Special bullets,that are .357 diameter,usually. The earlier Models had bores form .375 to .362 to handle the original outside lubricated,or inside lubricated hollow based bullets: Not condusive to the best accuracy.

If you don't reload,a .38 LONG Colt loaded to Cowboy Action Shooting specs,will work fine; they are made. And if you reload,get a hold of some .38 Long Colt data, Some of these guns will chamber .38 Special rounds,but other than mild wadcutters,I'd be hesitant to use them in this older gun,as they don't have the strength of the later(post 1908) Colt Double actions.

Bud

·
Registered
574 Posts
RD: Nice find. Now, after buying the gun you should buy the book. I suggest that you get your hands on Bob Best's excellent Colt DA revolver book. Bob frequents this Forum so he can probably chime in and tell you where to get a copy from.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will buy it. Thanks for the tip. I only have 5 Colt's , a nice original 1917, my wife's grandfather's .38 Spec Police Positive Special, .22 Frontier Scout, a .45 Govt.Model Series 70,and this one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts