Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
to round out my Colt BP 2nd generation collection. I know it is not an 'original' (and it will never be unless I win the lottery), but we can still term this as a Colt, though of Uberti parts, but assembled through Lou Imperato's Colt Blackpowder Arms Company. Also, I believe it is a limited production of 100. I am happy with the find for it doesn't have the Colt Signature on the backstrap, nor Italian markings. For me, buying a reproduction Paterson has been somewhat difficult. There aren't that many around that aren't Italian - even at that, pickings are fairly slim, with exception of Pietta.

I am not familiar with 3rd generation items:
(1) Can these be Lettered?
(2) Did these come with accessories? If not, who carries reproduction accoutrements?

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have both versions, the engraved and plain. Both are cased with accoutrements: the plain one in a modified 3rd gen. glass topped case; the engraved one in a custom made replica of an original Paterson case.
It took me over a year to locate and buy replica accoutrements for these guns. I searched e-bay and gun broker on a daily basis.
There is a company in England that makes accurate replicas of Paterson accoutrements, but they are expensive. I do not have their name and address, however, they advertise regularly on e-Bay. You might also try searching for replica Paterson accoutrements or Paterson bullet mold, etc. on Google.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Nice! Where did you find it? I have been watching the auctions without success. Of course, I am sure one will come up eventually but will go out of my price range.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Repro Pats seem to be going up in price, I guess with the only source now being Pietta. A few months ago I got a NIB Uberti, the one with its attached rammer, for $530. Box is somewhat tacky but the gun is new.

I haunted the auctions till I found one I wanted. Good idea to search Paterson and same spelled Patterson. Today I see several Pats on Gun Broker, mostly fancied up Piettas cased with accessories. A few days ago I saw one of the disk shaped cappers at auction.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steg-you need to post a picture of some of the items in your collection, every so often. I am sure some of us would like to see what is available that none of us will ever be able to have. Good info on where to look for the accoutrements. Found the English company that you mentioned - Paterson Accessories Company.

Dandak, stumbled on it at GunAuctions.com: The Leading Guns and Ammunitions Site on the Net

·
Registered
59 Posts
New to this forum, but have information related to this thread. Uberti made the 36 cal. Texas Paterson and some accessories for several years, but dropped the line a couple years back and has expressed no interest in a re-release. Uberti or 3rd Gen. Patersons are fairly rare with prices rising due to little supply. Uberti-made Paterson accessories are even more rare and prices have gone up accordingly. (In my opinion, the Uberti accessories really aren't that great; quality, accuracy, etc.)

The only real source for accessories today is Paterson Accessories Co. in England. Prices are high, but the quality is very good. To obtain an accurate Paterson flask, mold, capper, etc. be prepared to pay much more than Uberti accessories, but again this is the "only game in town."

I did know of another source of Paterson accessories in the States, but when Uberti dropped the Paterson line, I think they gave up on doing anything else. You could try Jay Strite of Ravens Roost Custom in Texas, but I doubt he's doing anything Paterson anymore.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When casing this Paterson, and since it has a loading lever, for accuracy, should the Powder Flask be the standard 5 spout powder flask, or should a 1 spout powder flask be displayed? Or, is it okay to go either way?

The Paterson Accessories Company has a nice 5 spout powder flask available, but I don't want to spend the big bucks if it is not the proper item for this Paterson.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
When casing this Paterson, and since it has a loading lever, for accuracy, should the Powder Flask be the standard 5 spout powder flask, or should a 1 spout powder flask be displayed?

The single spout flask would be correct for a Paterson with an attached loading lever. The purpose of the loading lever was so the revolver would not have to be disassembled for reloading, so using a five spout flask would require disassembly and thus defeat the advantage of the attached loading lever.

With that said, the five spout flask is cool looking and it's neat how they mark it with the authentic stamping.

John Gross

·
Registered
59 Posts
The single plunger style spout flask is more correct for the late No. 5 Paterson (w/loading lever) replicated in the 3rd Gen. revolver. However, I have seen an original case set with this revolver and the more common five spout flask. As the Colt was transitioning into the late style No. 5 Paterson, either flask maybe acceptable. I believe the single plunger style flask may have been more common with the revolvers released by Ehlers after Colt went bankrupt and Ehlers took control of the remaining Paterson production.

I have a Paterson Accessories Co. five spout flask and it's very good, though expensive. Additionally, Steve at Paterson Accessories is currently fabricating a pair of the single spout flasks and the Ehlers-style wrenches for me. Steve has projected the single plunger style flask at about half the cost of the five spout version if this will help your decision. I should have the flasks and wrenches sometime next month.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr. Hess, I have just ordered my accoutrements through Steve at Paterson Accessories. He will make my single spout flask and Ehler combination tool along side yours. I also ordered the Capper, Bullet Mold, Cleaning Rod, and Screw Driver and will have him serial number it to match the serial number (15) of the Paterson. You are correct - expensive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with the accessories from Paterson Accessories Co. They are the "only game around" as Uberti accessories are very rare and prices have gone up dramatically as a result of the rarity. For example, a Uberti capper, with inaccuracies, with cost you as much as one of Steve's cappers if you can find it! More so, Uberti never made all the necessary accessories and some of the accessories found in repro. cased Paterson sets are totally wrong; the five spout flask, etc. Thus, Paterson Accessories Co. is your all around best choice if you can handle to price.

Ok, now that you've committed this far you will need a couple additional items to round out your cased Paterson. I'd recommend you pick up a copy of R. L. Wilson's book, The Paterson Colt Book. This will be the cheapest item of the collection by far! Try Amazon. You will also need a proper case; again see Wilson's book. When ready, let me know and I'll give you the name and number of a master furniture maker who can make a correct Paterson case out of the proper materials. Finally, you will need a spare cylinder as most cased Patersons came with a spare. These are impossible to find these days, but I have a spare I'll sell you at my cost. I think I bought out the last of the cylinders from VTI, Cimarron, Taylors, etc. anticipating a future Paterson project that may never happen. And if you're really into the ultimate, you can have your Paterson revolver restocked in pre-ban ivory; I've seen one of these 3rd Gen. Patersons in real ivory and the results are amazing!

This Colt collecting can get scary and expensive real quick!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Here's my two Pietta Paterson's, the 2nd one is SS. Still looking for one with the loading lever:(

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow Swamprat, those are very nice. Are these special editions, or do they normally come with the engraving? Thanks for posting the pictures. When I see something that doesn't pop up very often, I file the pictures for future reference. Do these come with serial numbers?

Here is one that belonged to Andy Zafiropoulos. He offered it to me about 5 months ago as a direct sale, but I wasn't ready to buy. About a week, or two, ago, I missed it in an auction. Well, someone else got lucky.

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Gun accessory

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Wow Swamprat, those are very nice. Are these special editions, or do they normally come with the engraving? Thanks for posting the pictures. When I see something that doesn't pop up very often, I file the pictures for future reference. Do these come with serial numbers?

Here is one that belonged to Andy Zafiropoulos. He offered it to me about 5 months ago as a direct sale, but I wasn't ready to buy. About a week, or two, ago, I missed it in an auction. Well, someone else got lucky.

View attachment 41584

gunner5,
I don't think the engraved ones are special editions, although you don't see as many of them as the regular ones.
The blue one is SN D4242 & the SS one is SN 3027.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you. I have your Paterson's on file. The hunt is on to find one without a loading lever. I think the 5-spout powder flask is pretty unique, but I need to find a gun to go with it. Is Pietta basically the only source for Paterson's? Did Uberti make any fancy editions? There currently is a Paterson at GunBroker's by Petrosoli. Not as nice as yours, though. Probably most of my questions may be answered when I receive the Paterson Colt Book by R.L. Wilson in the mail tomorrow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have not personally spoken with anyone from Colt on your lettering question but I've been told several times that Colt will not letter any of the 3rd generation guns. You should just call them and ask about it, or send an email on their website. I have one of the plain Patersons with an unusual engraving on the top of the barrel. Denis Russell told me it was one of about 50 that were made that way.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I've got an older Paterson 'Combination Tool', myself.

Came out of an auction of an old gun shop specializing (more or less) in blackpowder guns, when I bought most of their library.

Wound up with a plethora of interesting parts - including the early Conversion Unit barrel and floating chamber (the type used with the milled extractor) - and all manner of pre-1898 spares.

Did perhaps Navy Arms supply these tools?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts