Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a teenager, I had the opportunity to shoot a 16’ trapper 1894 30-30 at a friends house (with tracers too). It stayed in my memory forever, and I’ve always wanted one since then.

It’s been a long wait, I missed a few, but today an LGS posted one on Facebook. Went straight to the store and paid for it, $ 600.

Seems like new, could not find powder residues or wear marks. Built in 1980. I am stoked. Guess it’s the standard no frills basic wood model. I’ll be shooting it, so that works for me.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You did good. I've seen a few listings for these as I would not mind getting one either. They go for more then I think they're worth, and of course a lot of them are the later angle eject which is fine but I prefer the top eject traditional model.

I did have the Wrangler .32 Special version, basically a custom version with the John Wayne large loop lever and engraved receiver. Fun to spin but not really practical, except for John Wayne and Chuck Connors.

We do have a Japanese Winchester 1892 Trapper in .45 Colt that also has the large loop.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
I did have the Wrangler .32 Special version, basically a custom version with the John Wayne large loop lever and engraved receiver. Fun to spin but not really practical, except for John Wayne and Chuck Connors.
John Wayne, at 6'4", had to have the barrel shortened an inch so he could spin it and clear his underarm. Chuck Connors, at 6'6", didn't have to have his modified.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Nice score, I’ve got two in 44mag and one in 45colt. They all have the tang safety which I prefer, can’t stand the cross bolt (wart) safety.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have the same gun, bought new in Houston in the early 80's. I converted mine to 44-40 sometime in the late 90's. Lots of fun and easier on the shoulder, too. I kept the barrel and cartridge guides though...just in case.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
16 inch trapper lever action rifles, are beat in the fun of shooting dept- only by the Colt SAA.!

Super fun and practical!

Anyone who shoots one, how is the muzzle blast and recoil out of the 30 30 trapper?

That's a great rifle OP!

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Very nice!

I like the saddle ring... I don't see a many Winchesters with those. Not very useful in today's world, but still very interesting.

I agree with other posters - in this case, no safety is a good thing.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
This .44 wcf 92 src was made 1902. It came off a reservation in the Dakotas. It was stolen out of my house in 2003 in Lancaster California in 2003 along with many more guns. If anyone see`s it let me know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts