Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first colt revolver today. It is a 3rd issue Detective Special made in 1976 and is brand new. It sat in a dealer's safe and was never shown. It had the box and all with the original shipping receipt. Based on the pics, it is immaculate, and I can't wait to get it. The only problem is I wont bear to be able to shoot it, and now I have to keep looking for another one that I can shoot. This will be my first safe queen, and I think it'll be tough not to want to shoot it. Maybe i'll find a nice Nickle one to keep this blue one company.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bartlett_2! Very nice purchase indeed.

Tough dilemma: to shoot or not to shoot? There is no "correct" answer. However, my basic opinion on the matter is reflected below. (Admittedly, I don't always practice what I preach!)

Muscle cars were meant to be driven not trailered.
Boats were meant to sail, not sit in dock.
Guns were meant to be shot, not relegated to safe queens.

I think you get the picture. Just enjoy your purchase in whatever manner that pleases you most, be it safe queen or shooter. If you shoot it and exercise care, you can maintain it's high condition and you will not significantly depreciate the value of this particular gun.

Whatever you decide will be the right thing to do.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Congratulations, Bartlett_2!
The Colt Detective Special is a genuine, American icon. All the stories those guns could tell ... hours of range practice, police academy, taking the detective exam, stakeouts, near misses and tales of heroes!Cowboy action shooting will keep Colt .44's and .45's around for some time, I reckon ... and Winchesters and scatterguns from another era ... I wonder, will be see a vintage version of Police Action Shooting one day? Colt Official Poilice's, Detective Specials, Police Positives? Tommy guns? (In semi-auto, only, of course!) Winchester 12's and 97's and 94's? I betcha! I'm gonna' start saving up for a Shooting Master this pay day! Sounds like fun, doesn't it? Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bartlett, PROBLEM SOLVED. As soon as you get it, send it to me. I'll run a few boxes of mixed loads through it. When you get it back it won't be unfired anymore and you can blast away without affecting its value.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bartlett, Nice purchase !,I myself am a D frame addict. A restoration expert once told me If it has no proven historical value or special edition nomenclature, SHOOT IT and take care of it. Lets say you bought it for $350.00 and you shoot it and keep it clean . 10 years from now you could sell it at 85% with the box and instructions for $600. Or you could sell it mint in the box for $675.00. For $7.50 a year I would shoot it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Man, now you all have me thinking I should shoot this gun. I guess I will untimately make that decision when I actually have it in my hands. I have seen mildly used ones going for more than I paid for this one, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to fire it a bit. Now I need to find a nice nickel one to go with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got my first Colt DS a week or so back. Like new as advertised, (Thanks Keith Woods)
probably unfired.

Beautiful nickle finish.. Too pretty to shoot? No way. I've run approximately 100 rds. thru it and it is a joy to shoot.

My suggestion is don't cheat yourself - shoot that sucker! I've ordered a set of Barami Hip Grips for mine (blasphemy?) because I expect to use it as a carry gun part of the time. Colt built it for a purpose... I don't think that purpose was to sit unused in a firearm safe someplace. Use it, but don't abuse it, that's what it's for.

Gotta love the quality of the old Colts..

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you don't shoot it, your wife's next boyfriend will. (Are you saving the gun for someone else to enjoy, even though you won't?)

Really... I totally understand. My first DS was so perfect, so flawless, so absolutely gorgeous, I felt I just had to buy another one to shoot because I couldn't bring myself to cause even one mark on the first one.

So, I get me a second one, hoping it might already have a tiny bit of wear on it. No such luck... another LNIB, dang it!

So now I've got two gorgeous beauties on my hands... so beautiful I can't bear to mess with them (but I did shoot them a little bit).

SO I decide I must set out for some more troops...well, just last week I received my third and fourth copies and thankfully, neither of these two are quite so "perfect", so I feel great about carrying them around and shooting them both. This is also great because I've been able to tear them completely apart, really get to know the innards, clean away decades of grime and dirt, lube them up well, Flitz clean the bluing and, what do you know, now the third and fourth ones look and feel almost LNIB. And I understand what makes them tick... very nice to do that.

So now I have two to "Watch", and a third one to carry blue and the fourth I'm going to send for a brilliant new bright hard chrome finish!

I still don't know what the value of having the two safe queens is, though, I don't plan to ever sell them and I'm getting all my enjoyment from the two "used" ones! Go figure.

I can't wait to see the bright polished hard chromed DS... I think that will be a wonderful little carry gun. That hard chrome is unbelievably hard stuff, I should be able to use that gun a heck of a lot with little, if any, effect on the finish.

Oh yeah... there is a fifth one in the works... something about these little buggers is irresistable to me!

Yes... I'm quite sure that I have become a hard-core, card carrying Detective Special geek! (Still love all my S&W's though!) ;-)=

One more thing... you CAN handle and shoot these things, doing it with some care, and still keep them in extremely fine condition!

So BARTLETT... I say handle it with loving care and shoot it. Then start looking for one to give some heavier use to.

[This message has been edited by DHart (edited 04-25-2005).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree Dhart. I think I might shoot this one a little, but most of the guns I have, I shoot a lot. They are all in immaculate conditin, so I bet once I pop a few off, it will be easier to shoot from then on. This is my first colt. I have a few smith revolvers, and never thought I could want another brand until I discovered the detective spacials. BTW, don't you post over on smith-wessonforum.com? I recognized your awesome photos. As a matter of fact, I think you made a post over there when you got your first DS and that's what turned me on to them. Now I am on a quest to find a nickle detective special and a 2.5 inch python.

[This message has been edited by Bartlett_2 (edited 04-25-2005).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Bartlett... yes, it's me from the S&W forum. I'm a total S&W geek, but also have a particular addiction to Dick Specials! Glad I was able to offer a little inspiration to you. I'm sure you will become very attached to the little DS. Enjoy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The DS is a favorite, for good reason, and congratulations ! on yours.

I have one, & would like to buy a few more, but the budget has a lot of competition.... Here is my fourth issue, with a set of Fitz grips:

------------------
John
Northern CA

"Life brings us joys and sorrows alike, it is what a man does with them- not what they do to him- that is the true measure of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just picked up this beauty. The former owner bought the gun, fired 2 rounds out of it and then put it away.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bartlett_2, I usually don't shoot my NIB guns. I don't mind admitting that I save some for a collection. I do what it looks like you may be doing, I save the NIB guns and shoot the ones that I buy used. If I have an identical gun to one that I have already shot, why shoot the NIB gun? It doesn't make much sense to me. Besides, if I am going to shoot it, why pay a premium for a NIB gun?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just picked up an nickle beauty to go along with my NIB blue one. Now i've got the sickness. I'm going to a gunshow this weekend to look for more!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I was going to put a few through the NIB one until I found a slightlt=y used nickel one. The nickle one will be the shooter of the two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts