Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of looking and wanting so I bought a 6920 today. I walked into one of my local stores and they had around 5 Colts on the wall. I wanted either a stock 6920 or 6940 with the forward rail. I couldn't find a 6940 anywhere for weeks. This store had done up this 6920 with the forward rail system, flip down rear site, stock, flash hider, all VLTOR products. I thought this is cool I like this and it will work fine for me. The price was fair and then I noticed the "Restricted" markings. I've heard these markings are kind of cool to have for what ever reason so I thought I'm done looking and I bought this.

If I decide I don't like the VLTOR accessories I have the stock parts and can use those and sell the VLTOR. I did kind of want a Knights forward rail but this rail is nice and comes with extra bolt on side rails and so forth.

Being new to all this give me you opinions on these accessories...OK? thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
almost looks like a le6920socom which does have the KAC RAS. a few differences, but that's what it resembles a little bit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
almost looks like a le6920socom which does have the KAC RAS. a few differences, but that's what it resembles a little bit.
Yeah I can see that too but it's not the SOCOM heavy barrel...just a regular barreled 6920 with a few accessories.

·
Registered
436 Posts
OP,

Have you considered investing in some professional instruction w/your new AR15? I would just buy a good sling (VTAC or Blue Force Gear), extra magazines, and some ammunition for right now. After you've put about a thousand rounds down range you'll have a much better idea of how you need to modify your new rifle.

Also, don't cheap out when you get ready to accessorize your AR. Do research and find high-quality parts/accessories that you will actually have a use for. You bought one of the highest-quality AR15's on the market, so why would you accessorize it with junk? It may take longer and cost more to do things the way I've outlined above, but you will be much happier in the end when you have a quality, well-though-out weapon system.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good looking Colt, congratulations and enjoy OP. :)

Excellent advice from William B., BTW.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Congrats on your AR.
You'll find lots and lots of things you see you may think is cool to add-on. Take your time and really evaluate what you need based on what how you're going to use the weapon. I couldn't find the picture to attach but I have one somewhere that shows an AR with so many add-ons that it's hardly recognizable...and I wondered how it was actually carried. Kind of a hoot...I'll keep looking
William B gives good advice. Shoot it plenty first to decide what you feel a true need to add. And I'll parrot PaulL: Sling, light optic. Alot of the other stuff...just un-necessary fluff IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
couple more
Mdrums,

Nice Job! Did you get it at the Tampa show?
The Restricted Lower is popular, so nice eyes on that catch.

I am installing the Vltor EMod stock on my 6720. Of everything out there I like that one the best. You will have to give a range report when you get a chance.

The only thing I can find wrong is the Steeler blanket.....Again Nice Job and Enjoy It!!

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I bought a 6920 for a grand, brand new in the box from a dealer. It has never jammed or misfired or had any problem whatsoever.I even shot it with the slide fire full auto simulation and it workled flawlessly. It also shoots a good group with it's stock peep sights( I havent put a scope on it yet). So all I can say is Ive had no problems with mine-at least not yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP,

Have you considered investing in some professional instruction w/your new AR15? I would just buy a good sling (VTAC or Blue Force Gear), extra magazines, and some ammunition for right now. After you've put about a thousand rounds down range you'll have a much better idea of how you need to modify your new rifle.

Also, don't cheap out when you get ready to accessorize your AR. Do research and find high-quality parts/accessories that you will actually have a use for. You bought one of the highest-quality AR15's on the market, so why would you accessorize it with junk? It may take longer and cost more to do things the way I've outlined above, but you will be much happier in the end when you have a quality, well-though-out weapon system.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin
Actually a local gun shop near me says they have a AR15 class...I asked them about this on there Facebook page just the other day and I will be stopping by to see them this week. Yes, I need lessons...all the help I can get on cleaning, taking the AR apart (I'm mechanically inclined) and any tips or tricks I need to know about a AR.

I went to a gun show in Tampa today and looked around at all the red dot sites, scopes, lights and so forth. I'm not buying anything like that for a while....I can afford it right now but I have no idea what I want. I'm into keep this as simple as possible and more into a real world tactical type of AR and not some futuristic looking device.

All I bought at the local show was an extra 30rd Magpul magazine, there were zero 30rnd Colt mags at the show, a nice carry bag and 500 rounds of Winchester 5.56 Predator ammo.

Thanks everyone for any advice, on cleaning, shooting and safety for my AR.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I drove up to Take Aim in Palm Harbor to see what they had and my wife said just buy the gun, it's what you wanted. I went out to the car to talk to her and think about it and called a couple of Shoot Straight locations and also Coles Gun Shop in Clearwater and none of them had a 6940 in stock and only 1 Shoot Straight had a 6920. Joe over at the Tampa Shoot Straight said he's looking for the "restricted" marking Colt for himself. I told him I found one not marked up in price so I thought this marking must be good to get so I ended my search and bought this AR from Take Aim. I have also bought my Sig P226 MK25 Navy from them too. Good store with great stock and help.

You don't like the Steeler rug huh?...you a Raven fan?...boy I hope not! LOL

Mdrums,

Nice Job! Did you get it at the Tampa show?
The Restricted Lower is popular, so nice eyes on that catch.

I am installing the Vltor EMod stock on my 6720. Of everything out there I like that one the best. You will have to give a range report when you get a chance.

The only thing I can find wrong is the Steeler blanket.....Again Nice Job and Enjoy It!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try doing some reading over on m4carbine.net. Very no-nonsense, practical-oriented group. Pretty much anything you'd ever need to know has been discussed there. There are also some good threads on training classes. It might help you find a good instructor in your area.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try doing some reading over on m4carbine.net. Very no-nonsense, practical-oriented group. Pretty much anything you'd ever need to know has been discussed there. There are also some good threads on training classes. It might help you find a good instructor in your area.
I registered on m4carbine.net weeks ago...I never could get logged on, never got the email to register my account and I can't post anything there. I'm on ar15.com surfing around their. If you know any mods at m4carbine...please tell them to unlock the mdrums account.....thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
No I drove up to Take Aim in Palm Harbor to see what they had and my wife said just buy the gun, it's what you wanted. I went out to the car to talk to her and think about it and called a couple of Shoot Straight locations and also Coles Gun Shop in Clearwater and none of them had a 6940 in stock and only 1 Shoot Straight had a 6920. Joe over at the Tampa Shoot Straight said he's looking for the "restricted" marking Colt for himself. I told him I found one not marked up in price so I thought this marking must be good to get so I ended my search and bought this AR from Take Aim. I have also bought my Sig P226 MK25 Navy from them too. Good store with great stock and help.

You don't like the Steeler rug huh?...you a Raven fan?...boy I hope not! LOL
New England Patriots. I am sure you have heard of that team.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I registered on m4carbine.net weeks ago...I never could get logged on, never got the email to register my account and I can't post anything there. I'm on ar15.com surfing around their. If you know any mods at m4carbine...please tell them to unlock the mdrums account.....thanks!
I'll send one of them a PM for you. You can still read all the important stuff, though. The stickies alone will keep you busy for a LONG time. I prefer M4C because they don't support the "give me praise because I hung 12 pounds of cheap junk on my rifle" crowd. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll send one of them a PM for you. You can still read all the important stuff, though. The stickies alone will keep you busy for a LONG time. I prefer M4C because they don't support the "give me praise because I hung 12 pounds of cheap junk on my rifle" crowd. :D
Yep, I can log on and read...just can't post anything....thanks! Really liking that site as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
?Question?...I want to buy some extra 30 round magazines....Should I stick with Colt magazines or is there somethings else that is good and easy to find/buy?

·
Registered
49 Posts
PMAGs are probably the most readily available at the moment and are good quality. I've heard some things about problems in extreme cold weather, but it's unlikely to affect me here. For USGI mags, I've had good experience with Colt or NHMTG. I believe NHMTG makes the mags for Colt.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts