Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased this cosmetically challenged Colt 1911 today from my local shop today for a hair less then what a Rock Island Armory Standard Govt. model sells for at Buds. It has some pretty ugly stippling on the front of the grip that looks like it was performed with an electric engraver and a small amount of light rust beneath the wood grips and a TRU Dot rear sight, thus the low price. I trust the manager and have bought guns from him for years so I asked him what he knew about it. He said he was unable to find any information based on the 1292XXX serial number but believed it to be a pre-series 70 1911 with possibly a mismatched frame and slide. It has a mirror like deep rich bluing which he thought was not original. Basically no collectors value whatsoever. I concurred but my knowledge of Colt 1911's is very limited.

My plan was to sand the bad stippling job smooth then bead blast and parkerize the entire gun or since the bluing is so nice just remove the stippling and spray the frame with a couple coats of steel blue GunKote.

Once I got it home where I could disassemble it for a close inspection and do a little research I think it may be a older Colt National Match. The slide it marked Government Model COLT Automatic caliber 45 and Colt MFG. Co Hartford CT.USA. The barrel is marked 45 AUTO with faint markings that look like NM 77 13. The bushing is marked 7267718 NM.

Before I started sanding or bead blasting on it I thought it would be a good idea to ask here for some feedback about how I should proceed with this so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Yep, Rick hit the "nail on the head" with his comments. If you got this one at very good price, make all the changes you want as you can't hurt any value and could make it look better. Plus, it is a pistol you can do much of the work yourself. If it was me, I would check all the parts and do any '"customizing" I wanted and then lightly bead blast and Parkerize the final finish. You can have a fine custon pistol that shoots well and you learned some gunsmithing on the 1911.

You can have fun with this one! I would recommend that you get the 2 volumns of Kuhnhousens book on the Colt 1911 pistol and customize away!

·
Registered
763 Posts
There's a Commander at an LGS near me that someone did a WORSE stipling job to, believe it or not. It's not in the RIA price range, yet, though! Let us (or me) know how difficult it is to smooth that stipling out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a Commander at an LGS near me that someone did a WORSE stipling job to, believe it or not. It's not in the RIA price range, yet, though! Let us (or me) know how difficult it is to smooth that stipling out.
Thanks for all the help. You guys are a great resource. I got to work on it tonight. The stippling fix wasn't too bad. It took some light and careful work with a file then about 90 minutes of sanding and polishing with 150, 220, 400, 600, and finally 1000 grit sandpaper. I think it came out pretty good.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sir, what you have is a project gun! There are a lot of 1911's around that were modified back in the day when everybody seemed to believe that the only way to hit the side of a barn with one was to fire it from inside. I bought mine for a song because the slide was cracked from someone squeezing it to reduce play. The barrel lower lugs had been worked over with what I suspect was a chainsaw file and a long link installed to force the upper lugs into the slide. The front of the receiver was stippled by someone long on enthusiasm and short on talent. I replaced the slide with a military slide like the one on your 1911. The rear sight I bought from gunsmith Austin Behert way back in a simpler time. Can't remember where I found the front sight. The barrel is one of the Easy-Fit Karts and the bushing an MGW. The hammer is a 70 series I had in the parts box and the trigger came from the old King's Gunsmithing. If you are interested in branching out into home pistol smithing, look at the 1911forum.com, and m1911.org. They both have gunsmithing forums and are a wealth of information. Research their archives, lot's of good stuff there. Buy Kuhnhausen's books and read, read, read. I've been tinkering with 1911's since the late 70's and constantly refer to them. There are enough parts out there to make that 1911 into a pistol that reflects your personal likes and dislikes. However, always be safe, and if you need professional help, seek it. Paying a gunsmith is a lot cheaper than paying a doctor!

IMG_3475.jpg

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
faraim, I see you know your way around a Government model, and just for fun I would like to make a guess about the gun you pictured. Actually; not the gun, but about the
grips ??
Not to offend, but rather to praise. While at first glance, it would appear you have a vintage set of stag grips or "jigged" bone with a fine array of "bark", ?, I got a feeling you made those from "scratch" yourself ??
Any chance those are "American holly" that you "burned" yourself ?.....Again, they look great on your 1911. Just curious. :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
ponyup, they are Sambar Stag from the seller williamstevens75 on eBay. I took the phone photo in the garage and the light gave them a yellow tint. They are a bit fat and actually quite smooth. Here's the other side.
IMG_3476.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts