Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question regarding the factory box of late 20's-30's Detective Specials in the nickel configuration. Should the box end label be marked as nickel or an additional sticker stating nickel? All the boxes I've seen with nickel guns state blue finish. I have also seen boxes with no serial number markings. If the gun has factory pearl handles will box state pearl or wood? I've been passing on purchasing these gun/box combinations. Should I be? Hours after I see these gun/box combinations, they were sold and for big money.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: Box? Early Detective Specials in nickel or pea

I am not an authority on boxes by any means, but I will take a stab. Based on what I have seen, I believe there would be an additional sticker (usually white with black bold print) that states nickel finish. I believe the label on the box by default would say wood and blue. I think in those days they simply had one label for the DS and just added to it as needed. Probably kept the cost of printing down.

Perhaps dant can shed some definitive light on this subject.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Re: Box? Early Detective Specials in nickel or pea

From what I have seen, they usually put a separate ,smaller sticker as to the "finish". BUT I seem to remember seeing one long ago and itr was actually printed on the label, so that really doesn't help you much. Seldom get to see the old guns, with their original packaging, the pictures normally just show the gun.
I see that the "repos" have the set of stickers (labels) printed separately?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
I only have one boxed Pre-War revolver in factory nickel, and that is a 1917 Pocket Positive. Its label is what appears to be yellowed white instead of the blue found on blue guns. Its label states "Nickel" right on the label (not an added sticker), but the label does not mention the stocks at all, which happen to be pearl. There is no sticker so indicating.

From what I have seen, special features, like pearl stocks, or an engraved gun, will have a small, paste-on sticker stating the feature, usually stuck on the lid above the end label.

Any box without a serial number has probably had the serial number erased, as most Pre-War numbers are written pencil. Again, I suspect there are exceptions due to error.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts