Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I hope you can help me here.

I have a Colt Cobra that I concluded the DOB to be 1970 according to proofhouse.com (s/n C92XXX). I'm not too familiar with the Colt snub generations but this is a later model with the fully shrouded ejector rod that looks exactly like Thirties' DS (but with an alloy frame of course): http://www.unitedforums.com/forums/gunforums/cf/Forum7/HTML/001471.html

What style box and accoutrements would have come with a Cobra of this vintage? Would the box be the type with the woodgrain lid (black/yellow label "COLT" "COBRA REVOLVER" "38 SPECIAL" "2 INCH BBL." "COLT BLUE" & no serial number); black bottom half with red and black folded cardboard lining with "Colt's" printed on the raised part?

OR would it have come packaged in a styrofoam insert with brown or woodgrain sleeve?

Sorry for the long description.

Any insight you can give would be ENORMOUSLY appreciated!! Thanks!!

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 02-24-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 02-24-2005).]

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The redish-brown box with syrofoam insert was introduced in 1974. Immediately prior to that, the brown wood grain box with red insert was used by Colt. A screw driver was packaged with Colts up into the early 1980's. (They were quite commonly for sale in gun shows at that time for $1 each.) A cleaning brush was packaged prior to about 1969. I would have to check the date when they stopped including the cleaning brush with new guns. But it is around that time period 68-69.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Blokey,R.L. Wilson,gives 1973 as the year of mfg. for your Cobra. I have a 3" .22lr,#C688XX,that was made in 1972, which is my "youngest" D.A. Colt( a 1981 N.F. is youngest)and yes,as 22 rimfire said,the brown box,with red/black insides would be correct. The .22 is one of the few I got with its box,and was NIB,when I bought it in 1989: Not any more! Nice little shooter,and probably 98-99% now,despite "accompanying" my daughter to graduate school in Boston for 2 years! She kept it in deep concealment,just at her apartment,only having to "show it" once to some "towel head",her roomates' boyfriend,who thought it was his cultural right to abuse women; he got the message and I don't know what daughter would've done if this was post-911,as one of her college classmates died in the attack. Anyway,the little snake did its job,without having to bite,and its now safe back in my safe! These boxes are pretty common on "fleabay",and the one I have,has no end sticker(s) with the gun serial & on them,just the usual Colt grease pencil serial # on box bottom. Could be fairly e-z to find,but the "tools" have often been sold separate. Bud

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Any D-frame with a shrouded ejector rod will be 1972 or newer, since that feature was introduced in 1972. 22-rimfie has given the chronology of the box styles in that period.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG you guys are great!!!

I thought my gun was made in 1970, here's the s/n range listed on proofhouse's site for "Cobra, Aircrewman, Courier & Agent": 1970 C68951-C99999
but I'd be more inclined to believe the newer date you guys say from R. L. Wilson. Either way, it sounds like it would have come in the red/black box with the woodgrain lid.

I didn't mention it in my first post but I do have this box but I wasn't sure if it was correct. It does have the s/n written on the bottom in white grease pencil (I didn't know that; you learn something new everyday!). I don't own any Colts of this era that would have come in this type of packaging so I was completely unfamiliar with it.

I can take a huge sigh of relief!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

BTW - This was the reason for the "stand by..." comment in my reply in Thirties' topic. I just picked up this Cobra and I'll post a pic of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts