Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend from work gave me this box. Unfortunately the gun doesn't seem to be around anymore. Also came with a care pamphlet and a 3 in 1 oil pamphlet, oil bottle and trigger guard hang tag. Just missing the instruction manual.
I'd love to put the appropriate gun in this box if anyone has one they'd let go for a reasonable price. I had to sell both my pocket hammerlesses when I was laid off. Also does anyone know the approximate age of the box of ammo?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The box is from a late-1917 Colt Model 1903 and the Special Instructions brochure is correct for that period, also. Peters started putting index numbers on their boxes in 1923 and I believe that is an index number in the lower right corner of the label on top. The ammo is possibly 1923-1930???

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Did Peters use Remington UMC head-stamps ? :)
The Rem-UMC with copper U-marked primers are from the pre-1920 era I believe.
The ones on right with unmarked primer look like they may be Peters.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Sweet box! I've got a 1903 that's "only" 20,000 numbers away from the number on the box. It's a 99% pistol and, sadly, not for sale but it sure would look great in that box.

Reactions: les.b

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
These pistols are in the ballpark. 266*** is a 1919, and is beat up. it is all there, and has the correct magazine That is, it is a two tone round top marked 2 lines in small script, and is pinned not crimped. (so called a type IV magazine, correct for 1915 thru 1920 pistols)

209XXX, even more worldly, is a 1916.
It is all there, but the magazine is not correct for the year. It is a type V, the sameas type IV, only crimped. It should have one just like 266XXX.

As y'all know, mine aren't what you would call 'Hollywood', or 'Downtown', but are workable examples of pistols over a hundred years old. (operative verbal component 'OLD') The bores are better than a lot, and the chambers are good.
Neither pistol is as nice as your box. If you want to see 'em, let me know. I am just down the road.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Great find. I wonder what the odds would be to find the Model M that actually came in that box? About 1:500,000?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Neat memorabilia, and now even a gun to match. I have an old box of Peters "38 Colt Automatic" ammo that I think may be from the same time period.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I shot it yesterday and today. I had two problems. One was the PPU ammo I had on hand is so grossly underpowered it wont cycle the action properly. I put some Remington ammo through it any it functioned better but still would not feed the last round. The follower had been bent in a couple of places. So I removed the follower and straightened it out and bent it to the proper angle by comparing it to my friends 1903 magazine. I picked up some PMC bronze fmj ammo and it now works flawlessly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts