Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 4" .22 Blue Diamondback advertised as NIB recently and the box label is misspelled "DIAMONBACK". This is not hand printed. Is that a red flag or a known factory error?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Heck no!!! I'm saying I don't know squat about how to tell if a box is a repro or not. I'm not even sure you're the seller of what I'm looking at. It's just due diligence to ask more exerienced collectors.

This is in Colleyville...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just called the owner from the add and it's ssgunip. I have no reservations, it's as advertised. I have to say ssgunip is a nice guy and I hope we can strike a deal.

Thanks saemetric, it's a factory goof. The label is like yours, all is fine. Case closed : )

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I would have asked the same question if I was interested in buying the gun.It is better to ask than just assume the worst in a seller.JMHO......Mike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks hope2, yeah more proof we are seeing a factory goof. Good to know : )

Oops, make that... proof they got it right at some point.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I left off the "LOL" at the end of my sentence and it came off a little harsh. Looks like COlt's typewriters did not have spell check back in the 80's. Go figure!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Factory goof? I know Colt has done some pretty wierd stuff over the years, but I doubt they printed labels one at a time on a hand press. Seems like that error would have shown up before with someone here on the forum.

·
Registered
135 Posts
"but I doubt they printed labels one at a time on a hand press"

They had to print a different serial number on each label, right?

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Strange things happen with old printers. When I worked in a restaurant years ago we had something called a Remanco system. When the server punched in the order the drink order would go to the bar and the food order to the kitchen. I was bartending and one of the drink orders came in and printed out as a mirror image...just one. The other drink on the order was normal. Some wierd glitch.
It happens.
The label looks legit to me. I think if someone was making a fake label that's something they wouldn't have missed.
Most likely the computer had fields that were typed in to run off a bunch of labels and this would probably change from time to time. I think the model name was probably typed in manually and a mistake was made.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I'd think that if Colt was making factory labels that's something they wouldn't miss! :D
A stamping on a gun...yes, a box label with one letter missing I could see getting by and Colt not really thinking its a big deal. After all most people still just toss the box in the garbage when the bring the gun home anyhow.

·
Registered
382 Posts
my guess is Colt made these a batch at a time, alternating between models, so, this batch they miss-spelled Diamondback.

Think about it; someone took the time to fake this as good as it is, and left out the letter, don't think so

1 - 15 of 15 Posts