Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time I have seen an auction for a peacemaker buntline .22 from the early 70's with an original box stated in the auction and I have questioned the box. I have the Wilkerson book and it does not show an example of this box that I have seen.
Luckily for the buyer, I think the gun sold for what the gun is worth by itself considering its great condition. again, I've seen this twice (different sellers) on a buntline with a plain cardboard box and the colt label is longer than the box is wide... wrapping around the end of the box... label taped on it. Since it's not shown in Wilkerson's 22 peacemaker Scout and New Frontier book, I have to think its not genuine. Is this truly the case? I want to say that I've even been sent a link to an online site for buying these plain cardboard boxes.

Colt Peacemaker Buntline .22LR 7.5" BBL 22 LNIB : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't know about the box. That gun was a heckuva deal at that price. As always, JMHO.
I think it was too. I've seen people asking $1k to $1200 for just a buntline in that condition. They didn't get it.. but they were asking it. I almost went for it that listing yesterday for that deal price.. I should have. What I suspected as a non original box (although advertised as an original) scared me off.

Registered
Not a bad price for the gun and paperwork. The box looks like a generic replacement with the original label. Interestingly enough, it was a single cylinder gun as noted on the label as a Model G1271. You don't see too many that were not shipped with both cylinders. According to Wilkerson, only 1666 were made in that configuration, they are the second lowest production behind the single cylinder New Frontier Buntline and even more scarce than the 4 3/4" guns.

Premium Member
Colt used plain cardboard "kraft" boxes to ship various guns at various times. There is mention of such boxes in one of Wilkerson's books on the Single Action Army. Usually, guns were shipped back to customers in these plain boxes after engraving or repair. Sometimes the serial number would be written on the box, but no label was applied. Also, Colt used these boxes to ship commemorative guns. The Colt commemoratives were almost always accompanied by a presentation case. The guns were packed in the plain kraft box, the case in another box and all of this was packed in a larger box for shipping. Other guns that were shipped with presentation cases were also shipped in this way. In my collection of .22 caliber single action Colts, I have a Frontier Scout/Buntline Scout pair with plain kraft boxes marked with the serial numbers in black on the outside bottoms. No labels were applied to the boxes. The presentation case also came with these guns. There was a set of Buntline Scouts that sold at Rock Island Auction recently which also had boxes liike these.
Since Colt had these plain boxes on hand, I could see them shipping out a new gun in one if their supply of normal printed shipping boxes ran out. It would be a rare thing to happen and could not be documented, but I'd bet it happened a few times.

- - - - Buckspen

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
Doing a little Wilkerson book studying up in the recent past, I knew that particular auction was a rare bird if it truly was a single cylinder 22LR buntline. With the price it sold for, it didn't matter either way since it was a good deal, but I thought it more likely the box was just a box with a label taped to it and the extra cylinder missing. I wasn't sure if those tan two piece box labels were being reproduced and possibly was made to look tattered and filled out to look like a single cylinder buntline. For the price that might have been one worth chancing and a Colt letter ordered to prove the 22LR only gun. definitely a collector gun.

Premium Member
Yes, the Peacemaker 22 single cylinder Buntline is a relatively scarce gun. I've had one for years, but it's not in great condition. In fact, I use it for a shooter. I've been looking for one in NIB condition for a long time and found two in the space of about two weeks!
Colt has been using the plain "kraft" boxes for years, so there are many around which are slightly worn. I once had about 70 of them that were originally used to ship commemorative revolvers.
Protect-A-Gun (Robert's Gun Specialties) makes similar boxes which are marked with their company name and information on the inside lid. They are good sturdy boxes and I use a few of them. I've been trying to get those guys to make a Buntline Scout sized box but they just won't do it for any reasonable price.
One interesting fact about the original boxes Colt used for the Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers made in the 1970s is that the labels didn't stick very well. I've seen many boxes with missing labels and many with labels that are coming loose. I don't know if this is a function of the type of paper used to cover the box (it is pretty smooth and slick) or the glue they used to attach the labels. So it is entirely possible the label for that gun was the original. Usually they will peel right off the original box without tearing.

- - - -Buckspen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts