Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, Has anybody done research on Colt (and/or any other brand) of Boxes and "enclosed Items"? I have read (not just this forum, but others as well) :bang_wall: about boxes are good vs boxes are worthless, no box is better vs fake box, etc, etc, personaly, I like boxes (now) when I was younger and dumber, I threw them away, and then I started to keep them, but I put the "enclosed Items" in one box and mixed them up. (I did the same with grips) I love the look of wood. So, now I am in the process of sorting them out. Long story short, I just bought (paid too much, but I wanted it) a New Frontier Scout L serial # series with extra 22 Magnum cylinder with box, I was pretty sure the box was wrong. Dymondback or python box.jpg (this photo is from internet) I think I should have the styrafoam insert in the flap box. But the internet shows this as a Diamondback/Python box. Anyway, can anybody point me in the right direction for a book on Boxes and enclosed items. or if anybody is in the process, or if we could start a photo thread with first owner bought boxes and start our own? I am going to get my photos of what I have together and post later.

Premium Member
The manual is a blue colored for the Peacemakers and New Frontiers that used the the styrofoam box.
The G and L series never used the box you have pictured. Double action revolvers from specific timeframe during the late 60鈥檚 Used that box.
The early boxes for the 鈥淕 series 鈥渢hat were before 1974 were a brownish 鈥渓if top box with a yellowish colored end label with red inked hand written info.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
L series were made only in 1974 and should have a styrofoam insert with the faux wood sleeve.. gold foil type label on one of the end flaps.
That's what I thought, as per my post. I have another one (G Series) that I bought a long time ago 1971 New Frontier Dual Cylinder Box Outer Sleeve.JPG 1971 New Frontier Dual Cylinder Box Side.JPG 1971 New Frontier Dual Cylinder Box Top.JPG 1971 New Frontier Dual Cylinder Wood Box.JPG Outer sleeve, End, top and wood display that I do not know if was bought at same time. and (cool beyond cool) a sales receipt from 1972 1971 New Frontier Dual Cylinder Old Receipt.jpg $72.75

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The manual is a blue colored for the Peacemakers and New Frontiers that used the the styrofoam box.
The G and L series never used the box you have pictured. Double action revolvers from specific timeframe during the late 60鈥檚 Used that box.
The early boxes for the 鈥淕 series 鈥渢hat were before 1974 were a brownish 鈥渓if top box with a yellowish colored end label with red inked hand written info.
I have a 38 Super from custom shop with box like you describe with red hand written ink (of which I was told is a fake) 1988 Colt 38 Super Box Side.png 1988 Colt 38 Super Box Top.JPG

Do you have any info on it

Premium Member
The Colt marked wood display boxes were usually shipped with the K serial numbered Frontier Scouts and Buntline Scouts (different sizes obviously). Some P numbered Scouts were also shipped with the wood boxes. However, Colt sold the boxes separately, so they could be used with any of the guns that would fit in them. They also sold such boxes for Government Models and Single Action Armys.

- - Buckspen

Premium Member
I can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e ever seen a gold foil type label with red ink, but I鈥檓 not familiar with that particular model and their boxes.
I can be wrong, but your 38 super box doesn鈥檛 look right to me because of the red ink and the abundance of extra info written in several blocks on the label.

All the faux wood/styrofoam boxes of the 70鈥檚 thru early 80鈥檚 for other models have black ink.. or brownish black ink from aging ..

9A600870-4A89-4619-AA90-D6C73233EDCE.jpeg

Premium Member
The red ink and the wording on the .38 Super box looks odd, but custom shop guns often had unusual labels.

- - -Buckspen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts