Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some photos of a rather strange and gory large mural-type oil painting that I recently found hanging over the counter at a cafe in downtown Bangor, Maine. I'm not sure it does much to enhance patrons' appetites, but it is kind of mezmerizing. And it is lousy with pre-war Colts!

I should have gone to bed a couple of hours ago, so I won't go into detail about now. The short version is that the Brady Gang got blown away in a shootout with the FBI in downtown Bangor, Maine in October 1937, at a location only about 100ft or so from where this mural is currently hanging.

Hopefully twaits will see this and feel free to add commentary. The whole story is quite interesting, and I thought this might be a good jumping off point...

"Would you like a pool of blood with your grilled turkey Panini and chips?"

Enjoy lunch! ;)

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Wow!

Hard to image a better era for 'Shootouts' than the '20a and '30s...even the '40s...seems like everything was at a peak of aesthetic integrity and romantic allure and outfitting, whatever side of the Law one wished to be on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I will have to research this "local" history. 1st I have heard about it. Boston usally gets all the crime news.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
What is the name of the diner in Bangor? I will make a detour this fall enroute to the grouse that will elude me as usual

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
The place is called Giacomo's and my Wife and I had coffee there a couple days ago. And we had breakfast roughly in front of where the shootout happened.
The food is pretty good at Giacomos as well by the way.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Man thats one big painting!! I'd love to see it. I've got a buddy that has been bugging me to go moose hunting with him up in Maine. Maybe I'll take him up on it, but only if we can make a side trip to Bangor. I remember when I was a Machinist on the I.C.R.R. we use to get in locomotives from the Bangor and Aroostok (this is probably spelled wrong) rail Road for repairs.

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
'Brady Gang'...but, not the 'Brady Bunch'...

45 Shots, 43 hits...is indeed far, Far, FAR above the average of to-day!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Man thats one big painting!! I'd love to see it. I've got a buddy that has been bugging me to go moose hunting with him up in Maine. Maybe I'll take him up on it, but only if we can make a side trip to Bangor. I remember when I was a Machinist on the I.C.R.R. we use to get in locomotives from the Bangor and Aroostok (this is probably spelled wrong) rail Road for repairs.
You should go. Maine is a gorgeous state with some interesting history.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Took this picture in Bangor this weekend. There never used to be a marker for Al Brady's grave. This is fairly recent. I didn't really have an appropriate gun so my Wife's Agent will have to do this time around :)

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Nice, sunny Warm day up in Maine to-day? Butterflies lilting, Birds Singing? Bees Buzzing, People in Boaters and rolled up Sleeves having PicNics in the Park on 'Indian' Pattern 'Camp Blankets' with Pitchers of Lemonaide?

Or..?

Is it like, you know, kinda Cold, overcast, grey, and or even Snowing or Sleeting?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.