Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Bibbyman,

The hammer over travel is a bit questionable to me*, but the rest of the gun look fine to me.............Yeah, I've got a few Colts with less than stellar case colors, but then ......no two are the same.

I'd say, Enjoy your new Colt, shoot the heck out of it, and learn all about its POA/POI characteristics.............

* I'll need to check my recent ones, but I've grown very fond of a recent Uberti El Patron Competition model with the lowered Bisley style hammer............It shoots to POA/POI, too........

Tom

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Bibbyman,

The hammer over travel is a bit questionable to me*, but the rest of the gun look fine to me.............Yeah, I've got a few Colts with less than stellar case colors, but then ......no two are the same.

I'd say, Enjoy your new Colt, shoot the heck out of it, and learn all about its POA/POI characteristics.............

* I'll need to check my recent ones, but I've grown very fond of a recent Uberti El Patron Competition model with the lowered Bisley style hammer............It shoots to POA/POI, too........

Tom
The wife and I each have Taylor's Smoke Wagons in 44WCF for Cowboy Action Shooting. Both pairs have the low wide "Runnin Irons" hammers. Mine have 5-1/2" barrels and her's has 4-5/8". I shoot Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter category.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The guys have sharp eyes. But the anomalies you're seeing are not there.

The patent date and horse are not double strick. It does have a streak of different color running through the patent date. I wiped the gun down with an old white t-shirt so what looks to be buggered screws are dust particles from the t-shirt clinging to the edge of the slots. What looks to be an abnormal cylinder gap is the reflection from the chamfer on the front of the cylinder.

Working within the 400k picture size limit has been a problem posting sharp pictures.

I did get around to shooting it this morning. Black powder in the drizzling rain. Not my best performance. I had a hard time reaching the hammer (new Colt in my left hand). The stiff hammer spring and heavy trigger pull kind of threw me off. The high humidity and no breeze totally blocked the targets with smoke.

https://youtu.be/Q117Sbl-pFA

I have more video that I intend to edit into a review of this gun and my well worn second generation Colt SAA in 45Colt.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We loaded up and went to a Cowboy Action Shooting match this morning. I took the new Colt for "show and tell". I had packed my pair of Cattleman 45Colt with Runnin' Irons hammers to shoot. Along the way, I decided to shoot the Colt in at least one stage. By the time we got there, I had decided if I was going to shoot it on stage, I may as well shoot it all 6 and not have to clean one more gun. I got along ok with the Colt but it's not as smooth as my Uberti. I stopped in at MidwayUSA on way home and picked up Wolff reduced power springs. I'll break it down and do some polishing and install the lighter springs and see if there is an improvement.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
We loaded up and went to a Cowboy Action Shooting match this morning. I took the new Colt for "show and tell". I had packed my pair of Cattleman 45Colt with Runnin' Irons hammers to shoot. Along the way, I decided to shoot the Colt in at least one stage. By the time we got there, I had decided if I was going to shoot it on stage, I may as well shoot it all 6 and not have to clean one more gun. I got along ok with the Colt but it's not as smooth as my Uberti. I stopped in at MidwayUSA on way home and picked up Wolff reduced power springs. I'll break it down and do some polishing and install the lighter springs and see if there is an improvement.
Great looking Colt! My hammer sits back same as yours. Seems fine to me! Let us know how the Wolff springs feel.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I would recommend against the Wolff spring and get the smith industry reduced spring instead.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I would recommend against the Wolff spring and get the smith industry reduced spring instead.
I don't find anything listing springs for Colt for Smith Industries. Did you mean Smith Enterprises? They list hands and bolts and screws but no hammer springs.

I've got Wolff springs in most of a dozen single actions and not had a problem.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I don't find anything listing springs for Colt for Smith Industries. Did you mean Smith Enterprises? They list hands and bolts and screws but no hammer springs.

I've got Wolff springs in most of a dozen single actions and not had a problem.
Somebody on here has their number, but I am pretty sure you can get them from VTI as well. The Wolff springs work fine, until they don't. I know two people, one of them our own Jim Martin, that have had them break on one of the sides and cut their hands. That middle cutaway part is just not the best design. The hourglass is much better.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I got around to measuring how far the hammer comes back to full cock on the new Colt. To find a common point so not to confuse hammer profile, I measured from the point of the firing pin to the bottom of the sight notch. My two second generation measured 1.24". The new third generation measured 1.39. A noticeable difference.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Lots of interesting critiques on a brand new early 2019 Colt fresh out of the factory. When judging a gun like this I am always reminded of my pastor's sermon on "Perfection". He says there is no such thing as "Perfection", it doesn't exist. But there is such a thing as "Excellence". It is possible and should be strived for. So we can't achieve "Perfection", but we can achieve "Excellence". I think he may have been right. Thus endeth the sermon.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
were measuring the length the hammer pulls back now..... Yikes . :)
Well, from the first time I cocked the gun, I could feel the difference. That and raspy feel of the action. (No wonder they tie down the hammers in new Colt SAAs!) Comparing it to my second generation Colts, it looked like a longer stroke. I just measured it to confirm.

I do Cowboy Action Shooting so try to shoot fast. Not that .15 longer hammer distance is a problem but it's different enough to end up short stroking when you have been shooting ones with a shorter stroke for 50 years.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I do Cowboy Action Shooting so try to shoot fast. Not that .15 longer hammer distance is a problem but it's different enough to end up short stroking when you have been shooting ones with a shorter stroke for 50 years.
That's a great point. Out of the box for the average Joe its just fine. But for competition type stuff you'd want to for sure get that baby custom tuned to your style.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That's a great point. Out of the box for the average Joe its just fine. But for competition type stuff you'd want to for sure get that baby custom tuned to your style.
It's not a big deal but I shoot Frontier Cartrage Gunfighter. That is shooting a gun in each hand. So I'm just gripping and cocking with one hand - left and right. The Frontier part is black powder or subs.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Lots of interesting critiques on a brand new early 2019 Colt fresh out of the factory. When judging a gun like this I am always reminded of my pastor's sermon on "Perfection". He says there is no such thing as "Perfection", it doesn't exist. But there is such a thing as "Excellence". It is possible and should be strived for. So we can't achieve "Perfection", but we can achieve "Excellence". I think he may have been right. Thus endeth the sermon.:rolleyes:
I beg to differ. Just transferred a Colt centennial model and I can't find a single flaw with it. Such a pure work of art. I'm seriously happy with it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I beg to differ. Just transferred a Colt centennial model and I can't find a single flaw with it. Such a pure work of art. I'm seriously happy with it.
A couple of weeks back we drove 3 hours through heavy thunderstorms to look at a Centennial at Cabelas in Kansas City Kansas. Even though it showed available on their gun library, it was already sold and gone. We were not happy.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts