Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rainy day here but I ventured out to pick up a used 22 revolver at a LGS. When I walked in the owner, knowing what I like said he had something to show me. This one was QR coded Sept 18, as I unwrapped it I was hoping the case color wouldn't be as bad as I've seen lately and happily they were quite nice. Naturally the 22 revolver I was picking up will have to wait awhile because I wanted this Colt NOW. Getting home I wiped the factory grease off a little and snapped some quick photos.
One thing that was strange was the serial number, the 2 SAAs I bought from this dealer last year were in the S75000A range, this new one was S85000A range. Now Colt could not have made 10,000 SAAs in less than a year or am I missing something? A large gun shop near this one hasn't had a new SAA in 3/4 years yet this small gun/pawn has had 4 in the last year. They must have a distributor that really likes them. It's good to see Colt making a run in my favorite barrel length.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very nice! Are those grips special ordered?

·
Registered
301 Posts
There was one on gunbroker in that range...Seemed like a huge jump , but I can't imagine why they would be holding a block of serial numbers....Unless Talo has em all.😂

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Congrats! Super nice looking SAA and one that I would love to have. So..did you get it for Colt MSRP or have to pay the pawn shop bump?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid $1800 for it which is MSRP and happy to do so. The grips are not special order, just the standard Eagle grips. Carefully removing the cylinder I wanted to carefully inspect it and clean out the bore and chambers. Doing so revealed excellent fit and finish with the machining equal to any other 3'rd Gen SAA I own. I pretty sure Colt gets their frames from an outside vendor since moving from under the DOME and on this example the case colors are back up to pare. Now I have to decide if I want to just tuck it away or shoot it.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow! You are a lucky person! That's a nice one! I was just wondering about the huge serial number jump myself after seeing a couple of guns listed online.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Not just beautiful case colors. That is one of the cleanest looking Colt single action’s I’ve seen... very sharp and crisp lines, very clean distinct cylinder flutes, bolt head looks properly contoured, perfect match between backstrap and frame plus perfect match between backstrap ears and hammer base. That one is a top example of a modern SAA! I would have paid that price without batting an eye!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Nice gun, good price. If you shoot it are you going to leave the hang tag on..LOL..............................................M*

1 - 20 of 34 Posts