Colt Forum banner

Break in chambering with a 1991 Series 80

562 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tvphotog 
#1 ·
I've noticed in the first 100 rounds through this new 1911, that loading the first round by racking the slide after inserting a new magazine produces what feels like a two-stage insertion of the round into the chamber. The round enters, but if I press check it by just slightly opening the slide enough to see the brass shell rim, the slide sometimes will not go back into battery without a light push on the rear. Rounds feed well after that, there was no failure to feed. The ammo is new, factory ammo.

The mags are brand new as well, but I don't think that's the issue. Is this something that will break in with another 500 rounds, or is the cartridge being impeded by the chamber ramp or something like that?

#2 ·
In all the Colt .45 Autos I have owned, I put a minimum of 750 rounds through them before attempting to fix any "problems" that may or may not actually be a problem. When you remove the barrel from the gun, will a loaded round fall into the chamber easily and fall out easily also?

#5 ·
It is my experience a two stage audible is not as desireable as a single sound. No amount of break in rounds will change a two stage to a single sound. Two stage sound means there is a hesitation. Only intervention can eliminate the hesitation.

You may see the term ka-chunk on other forums. I do not recall seeing it used here.

Some pistols get away with a ka-chunk. The severity of the interference can not be gauged by the audible.

#6 ·
You indicate two actions of concern I believe ?
First, the "two-stage" feeling of the round being picked up from the mag and inserted into the breech, right ?

I suppose if you have a heightened sense of feel, you could be noticing the first slight bump, or hesitation, when the disconnector rail / breech-face starts to bring the round out of the mag, and then the second feeling would be as the round first contacts the feed ramp.
If you can round up an ultra slo-mo video of the way a round impacts and bounces it's way into the chamber, it is almost surprising it feeds at all, so yeah that can be felt if you concentrate.

As I say, to be noticing that, would be a very well developed sense of feel and concentration. Can't say as I ever paid attention to the exact sequence of that aspect, but I don't recall ever starting a new reload with slide closed either.
When I first load a fresh mag, I have previously retracted and locked back the slide. For the second mag of course the slide is automatically locked back on "last round fired". (Provided the mag and slide lock did their job.) I then release the slide with a "slingshot" usually, but sometimes also with depressing the slide lock.

For your other concern about checking to make sure a round actually stripped and then have hesitation to go into battery; I would expect the short interval of slide travel and being near the end of the recoil spring's travel would be the reason. Let the rails wear in and get the gun fully broken in and I doubt that would be noticed anymore.

If your "plunk test" round drops in and out freely, I expect your are just experiencing the "new gun...hope it's perfect" feelings we all have. :D

By the way, if you stop checking for sure the round chambered, and just assume it did; and take a shot, the first time it fails to shoot you will find out right quick if you have a flinch ! :D ... NOT checking is not advised for self defense carry of course.

#7 ·
I would definitely try loading that first round from slide lock as ponyup describes and listening for the same sound. The ka-chunk I describe is with the round already on the breech face. He is correct the press check is not needed if you heard ka-chunk. The sound will not be the same if the slide went home on an empty chamber. Going home on an empty chamber will only take place when the magazine is not locked in place or you have a failure to lock back empty. No hesitation ka-chunk would have been heard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.