Colt Forum banner

Real Colt or ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe my old eyes fail me but I see no Colt markings on this gun being auctioned as "Colt" 1851 Navy? Is that ignorance or misrepresentation by the auction house or is it like a kleenex thing?

https://colorado.hibid.com/lot/6208...-navy-revolver-octagon-bbl/?q=&ref=watch-list
Lot #69
Group - CategoryFirearms / Weapons - Pistols
LeadPre Civil War Colt 1851 Navy Revolver Octagon Bbl
DescriptionHere We Have a Very Old Colt 1851 Navy Revolver With a 7 1/2" Octagon Barrel, Matching Numbers on Frame, Barrel, Butt, and Trigger Guard! Chambered for .36 Caliber. Very Cool Old Collectible Colt, Serial #12578 Dates This one to 1852!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Probably Belgian,though I don't see any obvious Belgian marks. I must photograph my brevette - tries very hard to be a Colt, only the cyl scene lets it down.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably Belgian,though I don't see any obvious Belgian marks. I must photograph my brevette - tries very hard to be a Colt, only the cyl scene lets it down.
Please post pictures! The cylinder proof mark looks English to me but I haven't found the reference yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is a Belgian proof on the right side cylinder close up in the auction photo. I'm not familiar with the other proofs on the gun.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Im not sure what the crown in the triangle marking is . The H with the star above it on the frame is a Belgian inspectors mark. And the oval with an E L G and star inside is a Belgian blackpowder proof. My vote would be no on the Colt .

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Not a Colt, not pre-Civil War, good catch...gun is a piece of junk

·
Registered
496 Posts
gun is a piece of junk
Wow. A piece of junk, eh? Define that. It appears to be of European manufacture, possibly a Brevette. There are people who collect revolvers that are not the "beloved" 2nd Gen/3rd Gen Colts, which so many folks on this forum are addicted to. It appears you are one of them. Show us photos of your pristine original Colts or 2nd Gen/3rd Gen stuff so that we folks that are not so enlightened as collectors of different revolvers (to include Pietta, Uberti, Gregorelli & Uberti, Armi San Marco, Armi San Paolo, and the many Northern Italian small manufacturers around Brescia since the inception of repro C&B revolvers starting in the 1950's) can possibly appreciate. There is a website (FROCS) that documents Belgian copies of Colt revolvers, both back in the ACW era and the modern repro era.

Me thinks you need a bit more edumacation.

Your call.

Jim

·
Registered
944 Posts
Does anyone know if any of the original (19th century) Brevettes had gain twist rifling? Curious because I have an opportunity to buy what I believe (or was told) is an original antique.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Wow. A piece of junk, eh? Define that. It appears to be of European manufacture, possibly a Brevette. There are people who collect revolvers that are not the "beloved" 2nd Gen/3rd Gen Colts, which so many folks on this forum are addicted to. It appears you are one of them. Show us photos of your pristine original Colts or 2nd Gen/3rd Gen stuff so that we folks that are not so enlightened as collectors of different revolvers (to include Pietta, Uberti, Gregorelli & Uberti, Armi San Marco, Armi San Paolo, and the many Northern Italian small manufacturers around Brescia since the inception of repro C&B revolvers starting in the 1950's) can possibly appreciate. There is a website (FROCS) that documents Belgian copies of Colt revolvers, both back in the ACW era and the modern repro era.

Your call.

Jim
\

Are you :eek:getting a little grouchy?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SOLD for $975 + commission! Seems a bit steep to me :confused:. Also, wondering why 50% of people responded to poll that it was real Colt? I have a lot to learn.....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,847 Posts

Your call.

Jim
I referred to the quality of the piece, not the type. You are more than welcome to search this forum for the firearms that I have posted, which includes the types you have mentioned besides brevettes. Brevette or not, the gun is in very poor condition which is obvious to include a repaired loading lever. It should be mentioned that there are many copies of the Colt 1851 Navy, but few are brevettes which refers only to guns made under license from Colt. On a more positive note, thank you for the referral to the FROCS website.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That particular Colt copy was a piece of junk, of indifferent quality when made, and as is often the case, poor quality material age especially badly.
Some Colt Brevets were officially licensed by Colt, and quality made.
This is not one of them.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
ELG is an old Belgian proofmark in Liège since 1811 up to ???. Most old firearms made in Belgium were ELG proofed. Original Colts sold in Belgium were not ELG proofed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts