Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen this beauty on GB earlier and now I think I’m set on having my early production 2020 6” polished out as well. When these are properly done, are they completely disassembled including removing the barrel from the frame? Any recommendations on a quality place to have this done? I don’t have the same reservations about polishing a new one, like I do the originals.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,884 Posts
To polish correctly the gun has to be fully disassembled but the barrel is NOT removed.

Some people do a polish job with a good metal polish, but that won't equal a factory level job.

Option for a full mirror polish are...
The Colt factory. The Colt Custom Shop will almost certainly do a bright polish on request.
For details contact them through their web site.

Patriot Polishing seems to have a good reputation..

Ford's will do it....

Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing | Crystal River, FL

·
Registered
262 Posts
There is a coating on the new 2020 guns that is something like anodizing that has to be sanded off before it can be buffed. Ask me how I know! LOL Very difficult and time consuming.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,884 Posts
OOPS.......
How about more of a report on this.
A lot of people will be wanting to polish the new Python or at least polish out scratches and this can be a major problem if people don't known about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for this information. Do you have a source or this or are you going on your own experience?

I've been thinking that there was something different about the finish on my new Python. If you catch it where the light is reflecting on it, it almost appears to have something like a very fine spray pattern similar to a clear coat. I've noticed on mine that there are no swirl marks that normally come with a stainless gun being polished and the entire finish is perfect and uniform. When a firearms is polished using normal polishing compound and a buffing wheel, you almost always can find some buffing marks somewhere, but I can't on mine. I've heard from another forum member that Colt is using a new system for polishing the Python so maybe that accounts for that. I've also noticed that the finish on my Python isn't like that of other stainless firearms that I own. It's has a darker color to it, almost like a black chrome, and definitely isn't like most bright stainless steel firearms that I've seen.Even the FFL noticed the color as soon as we opened the box for the very first time.
It's not that I'm complaining, just the opposite. This new Python has possibly the most perfect finish on any firearm I own. I'm very happy with it.

I may contact Colt and see if they have any information on it.
There is a coating on the new 2020 guns that is something like anodizing that has to be sanded off before it can be buffed. Ask me how I know! LOL Very difficult and time consuming.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well I started trying to buff and shortly after realized there was a coating. So I tried sanding a small spot under the grips with #1000 and then #2000 and got a mirror shine after a bit of hand rubbing with polishing cream. I decided to make a go of it. I soon realized that the coating was quite tough and I had to go down to #800 as a 1st step to make the job a little easier. There are some areas on the gun that are very difficult to get to as you can well imagine and I probably have a total of 8 hrs plus on the job I did, which is not 100% complete yet. I imagine there must be a chemical way to remove the coating but I'm not equipped for that kind of work. I'm quite proficient at polishing the old ones ad can actually improve on a factory finish. But.... these new ones are a challenge.....
2020PYTHON.4.25.1.jpg

2020PYTHON.4.25.2.jpg

2020Python.reflection.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Whatever process you are using, it is working. It looks great! You're a better man than I am. I could never bring myself to use 800 grit on my firearm, but that's just me, and I can't argue with the results...from your pictures it could almost pass for nickel or a hard chrome finish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts