Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not but here goes. I started to buy a king cobra and as I looked things did not look right. I wanted a bright stainless and I saw a listing that said the gun had been polished after it left colt and I looked at some others and things did not look right so I called colt and they told me the new model king cobra is not made in but one finish, satin or standard finish. there is several new models on gunbroker in bright stainless now so someone had to polish them after they left colt.. I only did this so colt people will know someone is polishing them after they leave colt and raising the price to about $1400.00. You would think that if they will do it to king cobra, they will do it to the others. Be Careful

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not but here goes. I started to buy a king cobra and as I looked things did not look right. I wanted a bright stainless and I saw a listing that said the gun had been polished after it left colt and I looked at some others and things did not look right so I called colt and they told me the new model king cobra is not made in but one finish, satin or standard finish. there is several new models on gunbroker in bright stainless now so someone had to polish them after they left colt.. I only did this so colt people will know someone is polishing them after they leave colt and raising the price to about $1400.00. You would think that if they will do it to king cobra, they will do it to the others. Be Careful
It sounds like you are talking about the "New King Cobra" that just came out recently.
They will probably build some in BSTS in the future- keep an eye on the Colt website , so if they do, you will see the Colt model number on their site.So if you then buy a NIB
"New KC", the correct model # will be on the box.Or buy it at a Colt dealer NIB, no worries.:)

No need to call Colt on folks polishing aftermarket--- they know, they don't care, and it doesn't matter if they did care...

If you want a "Real" KC, the original KC, some are available in factory original BSTS.
Some of the matte stainless "Real" KC's are aftermarket polished (as are ALL matte stainless Colt BSTS models), because of the popular bright appearance.
Due diligence is always required.

What you describe has been going on since matte stainless came out- as collectors remember the beauty of Colt's Bright Nickel, and try to get it back with Bright Stainless..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
polishing the guns is not what bothers me. what does is that polishing them and then jacking up the price and selling them for new in box. That is not only wrong but I believe it is against the law. I do not want to pay for a new gun and find out someone has worked on it after it left colt and did not tell me.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
While I would not suggest buying a polished gun, many people like them. It is absolutely NOT against the law to polish a gun. It is also not illegal to refinish it, cut the barrel or do anything else with exception of (1) modifying the serial number or (2) violating NFA provisions. It costs $300 to polish a gun. It is not illegal to jack up the price either. If someone wants to ask too much or pay too much it is their right in a market economy. In the end, this is a capitalist country and we have (relatively) free markets. I have a problem if the seller lies and passes an aftermarket modification as factory, but otherwise who cares. Buy or don’t buy. It’s up to you. Don’t complain about the price. If you can get what you want cheaper, go for it. But because someone is charging more than you are willing to pay does not make it the seller’s fault. Supply and demand will take care of it.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
This after market polishing of stainless is not new and will continue. They can be costly and some of the results don’t look so
great compared to an original example. If you want a Brite Stainless Colt ,the best way to purchase is with an original box
label proving Colt did it. There is aftermarket polishing and there are aftermarket labels,so even with the label it can
become a challenge knowing was it is correct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have made everything out of this post except what I meant to say . My problem is aftermarket polishing and selling them for new in box and I do believe that is against the law. All I was doing was trying to help and you have made a joke out of it. I will not bother you anymore.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
An aftermarket polish and misrepresenting it as factory is fraud. Whether there's specific laws addressing that may depend on local laws. I think federal law might only enter into it is the sale crossed state lines...otherwise state law may prevail if at all. It would at least be a civil offense where a lawsuit would be the remedy. I was in law enforcement for some time and know it all depends on how the appropriate laws are worded and whether the act fulfills the elements of the crime...it may not. Civil law (lawsuits) would more than likely the appropriate remedy. The selling agent (Gunbrokers or whomever) usually have some remedy available...if they actually enforce it.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
I don’t think anyone is trying to make a joke of your post. You looking for a specific remedy of what may be considered
unlawful or illegal is the problem. The “rule of law” in this country has been taking a beating as of late if you consider
all the lawbreakers coming into this country every day. You looking for a remedy for a fraudulent firearms representation
is probably a low priority item in the big picture. Also,as far as firearms go they are a social pariah and unless you are
looking for ways to ban them a lot of people aren’t interested.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
If the advertiser clearly states the gun was polished after it left the factory, there doesn't appear to be any fraud. As for the higher prices, I would imagine that a good polish job is labor intensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts