Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if I ramble a bit here but...

Not too long ago I bought an unfired 1982 (K911XX) 6" SS python. This was the first Python I'd ever seen in person. It did show some wear from handling over it's 23 years of life but nothing major.

A few days ago I read a thread that included a post suggesting that Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish was a good product for cleaning stainless handguns so I thought I'd give it a try on my pride and joy. Much to my surprise, after using a little Mothers, I found that the Python, that looked like regular old stainless steel to me, was actually bright stainless! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Oh boy, now I did it! I had a small area that was bright and the rest that was, well, not. So... Two days of off and on rubbing an buffing and I've got a whole new Python... and one sore finger!

I guess if my post has any redeeming quality at all it's that sometimes it pays to be a newbie. You get to find out all kinds of great stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Hopefully that post also cautioned that Mothers and most if not all other polishes are abrasive to varying degrees. I don't have catalogs, but the BB indicates that factory ultimate bright stainless began in 1985.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Rod, the trick is to use "two fingers" and you will get the job done in 'half the time' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Use a soft, cotton cloth too..............

'Mothers' is probably the 'least' abrasive of any of the metal polishes across the counter and have yet to see a "bad" job. Yes, as said above a "varying "degree of abrasive is need to cut through the oxidation.
Yes, they all work too, it is "how" hard one presses (pressure) used in the process. I have seen MANY that make the stainless steel look like 'nickel plating'.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Even a matte or brushed stainless will polish to a high gloss with the metal polishes. The more you rub the brighter the gloss gets. While it looks nice you have just now changed the factory finish. Several S&W owners learned that of the bead blasted finish Smith used on some of their handguns just a little to late. Not to worry though as you can put the original finish back on after all the polishing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oooops. Looks like I may have gone and done it huh? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But then on the bright side, it looks a heck of a lot better than it did and I like how it looks now so guess I'll just keep it this way.

Thanks for the replies guys. You're a darn good group. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
150 Posts
Rod-If you like the looks of the bright stainless, don't worry about the previous matte finish-if that's what it was. My wife got me an 4" Elite for Christmas two years ago. Having just retired and with too much time on my hands, I decided to see if I could make it a bright stainless finish. I used Flitz, soft cloths, my fingers, and the occasional tongue depressor for the tough spots. Finishing up with the Mother's chrome polish, I now have beautiful bright stainless Python to which I added dark prewar Official Police service grips. I have short fingers and couldn't stand the looks of the factory Hogue-style grips, anyway. I'm never going to sell it, so it's the way I want it, and looks 10X better than when it came from the factory. (I have two others-both early and blue) -Asa

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roger that asa.

I'm sure the purists would disagree but the python looks so much better now. You have to remember this revolver had a lot of handling wear as well as two or three light but unsightly scratches. If I had a clue it would look this much better (to me) I surely would have taken before and after pictures.

BTW. A1A does make a good point. Anyone using Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish for the first time should take care!

Ya'll have a great Christmas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts