Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about Briley out of Houston? http://www.briley.com/

I was recommended them yesterday by a gun dealer to fix the barrel on my Detective Special (sight out of alignment) and Official Police (experiencing binding on two or three of the chambers against forcing cone)

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Well, they're close by. Maybe you could drop in and check the kharma. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I intend to. I would like however a second and third and maybe fourth opinion of anyone out there who knows their reputation.
I am not a gunsmith, so I really don't know what to look for in whether a smith knows what they are talking about or not when they are standing alone on their ground giving me all they know. I've come across a number of people (dealers and even smiths) who in the long run really don't know what they are talkinga bout. They talk a big game like they are real experts (oh, sure I can handle a Colt, no problem) but then, after you've paid them good money, something will go wrong with the gun and they are stumped. Kinda like trying to find a good mechanic, lots of BSers out there,(or just people who simply overestimate their ability) if you aren't a mechanic yourself or a car buff then it's hard to discern who is an expert and who is not.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I agree and hope that you get some useful feedback. I am not an expert but note that their list of revolver labor items does not explicitly include barrel requalification. The way they itemize cylinder gap, headspace and end shake correction without mentioning barrels might imply a non Colt bias. Compare it with Cylinder and Slide's breakdown. But that is just information presentation and does not necessarily speak for the skills of their smiths. I wish you a good experience whatever you decide.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I mostly know Briley as a shotgun and .45 shop. They are one of the best known shops for barrel work and skeet tubes for shotguns. I have an 870 Trap Barrel they tubed for me years ago (15?) I have never known anything about them doing revolver work. They have a sterling reputation with shotgunners. If you think how much a Perazzi or Kreighof barrel costs ($$$$$$$) They do those every day. I think I would use one of the recommended gunsmiths though.

Dwight

Sorry if this is useless, but I did want to put in a good word for Jess Briley.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts