Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a shop today and they had an interesting Colt Official Police revolver. The barrel marking was for caliber "38-200" and it had some British or Commonwealth proof marks on it (all on the left side of the frame). Each chamber was NOT marked with proofs as I would expect of British proofing. Ahead of the cylinder on the frame was a small "crossed flags" mark, but without number or letters under it as I've become used to with Enfields. At the rear of the frame near the topstrap (just down from the rear sight notch) was a "broad arrow", a crown, a "W" and some other letters and marks that were hard to decipher (or recall). The bottom of the butt had a three-digit issue number that was different from the serial number (which was, I think, a 6-digit number beginning with 65xxxx). The butt wears a lanyard ring (the stud looks OK, but the ring appears to be a crude replacement). The stocks appear hand-made of some orangish Asian wood like Teak or Mahogany.

So...can anyone shed some light on this pistol? The asking price is $200 and I'm seriously considering picking it up for it's Commonwealth links AND I like old Colt DA revolvers. The shop owner speculates that this may be Hong Kong or Singapore police issue. What says the forum? Should I get her?

Rob

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
As far as I remember, Hong Kong used the Colt Police Positive Special. From your description, it's certainly from some former British coloney police issue.

I've never gotten a good reason why the Brits bought Colt revolvers instead of passing out the Webleys they had. Webleys were made up until the late 80's early 90's.

The orange replacement wood grips are often a give-away for Asian firearms, but remember that the Brits had colonies in Asia and the Carribean as late as the early 70's. This could have come from any one of a number of places. Chances are, though that it's from Asia. A better look at the markings might give a better indication of just who had it.
I would think it would have some way of ID'ing who it belonged to. The Honk Kong guns are plainly marked "Honk Kong".

Price depends entirely on condition, and how badly you want it. There will probably not be much collector interest in one of these, since most collectors want a department marked gun, like the Hong Kong Colt PPS's.

In any event, if you buy it, please let us know more. Sounds interesting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts