Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a question regarding the value or desirability of a British proofed 1878 DA in 45 caliber? I know British proofed SA's have lesser value in general but what is the current trend? Is there a general percentage of loss?

JP

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
All else being equal, I doubt British Proofs would have any bearing on the Value...or if anything, they may even deserve a slight premium.

Was Colt still doing a London Address on the Barrel Texts with the m1878s?

I'd pay the same and be very happy for one 'with' as without!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
It would be unusual to see a British proofed one. I agree with Oyeboten that the value would be at least as good and maybe command a premium, especially in .476 caliber.
The "Depot 14 Pall Mall London" roll mark was still used on the M1878 barrel even though these guns were made in Hartford, CT.

·
Registered
181 Posts
For what its worth I have an early 3 digit Model 1878 revolver with London proofs and the Depot 14 Pall Mall London address on the barrel.

It is also marked with a broad arrow and a date of 3.79 and was part of a purchase of 165 of these revolvers by the British government in 1879, from the Colt London Agency.

The purchase was made along with a couple of hundred Tranter revolvers due to a shortage of Adams revovers at the time due to the war with the Zulu's in Africa. It is in .450 calibre and is marked on the top of the trigger guard 45B, the B being for Boxer.

These revolvers are covered in the late Mr Wilkerson's excellent treatise on this model.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

1 - 4 of 4 Posts