Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't resist, there was a Colt 1917 that was priced under $500 in 80% shape and no major defects. I just had to get it to add to my other 2 Colt 1917s. How did I do compared to what else is out there on the market? 1917s of both flavors seem to be going up.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Good catch Virginian,and price seems "good",as there is one in similiar shape around here going for $100 higher. I assume the 1917 is all original?? So many have been "circumcised" to snubbys,"target sighted", "caliber converted" etc.

Lately,it seems that NEARLY every pre war S&W N frame or Colt N.Service,I have seen "in person",has been either a British Contract piece(usually converted from the .455,sadly IMO) or a 1917. But simple math will explain why;these were by far,the most common variations.

To round off the math,at the risk of the "nit pickers",Colt made close to 360,000 New Services,and over 150,000 were 1917s,and "probably" well over 50,000 as World War One British Empire contracts;so we got less than 160,000 "regular N. Services"(less when we subtract the military 1909 Models.) S&W also made over 150,000 1917s,plus the Brazillians,75,000 2nd model H.Es & 5,000 T.Locks for the British. Civilian N frames,go up to #62,489 before W.W.Two,so it doesn't leave many "civilians" for collectors.

Anyway,I agree,prices of the 1917s in BOTH flavors are jumping,and while they certainly are sought by the militaria collectors,they tend to be the most "available" for those of us interested in pre wars-and the "unmolested",and that includes high gloss dip blue jobs,nickle plating and even hard chroming,are the rarest. Personally,I'd rather have an original 50-80% piece,with "history" than a refinish. BTW,Virginian,are there any Post Office Markings on yours?,or "odd markings",including under the stocks. Many of those sold in the 60's,as surplus,had gone from the military to the P.O.Dept-and are worth a premium;as are some that were issued to "rural banks" in high risk robbery areas. Bud

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of markings would I be looking for under the grips? Is it a metal stamping? This Colt 1917 is 100% original and the guy that owns it got it from a relative and only shot mild cast bullets through it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
There are 'extra numbers" usually 4 digits,probably a P.O. property number on the backstrap,and/or under the grips on the frame. But if yours is all original,it probably is not a P.O. gun,as most of these tend to be arsenal refinished jobs in an obvious refinish;blue black. Bud

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not seen any of the letters you mentioned, so I would assume this is a plain jane 1917. I checked prices in the GUN LIST and I realize more how much of a deal I got.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts