Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Colt Lawman MK III and the firing pin is broken. If I got the part from Numrich would it be a simple matter of changing it out? How would it be done? There is a pin through the top of revolver frame, does this have to be removed or just the recoil plate and how do you remove the recoil plate? The spring seems OK when I look through the charge hole but the tip of the pin is missing.

I appreciate your knowledgeable responses to my questions on this forum.

Thanks, Dennis

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
DO NOT attempt to replace the pin yourself, and DO NOT allow a local gunsmith to attempt it either.

These later Colt revolvers REQUIRE a special press with support dies and press punches to remove the broken pin and install a new one without damaging the frame.

These revolvers have a pressed-in firing pin plate retained by a cross pin, but unnoticed, the plate also has a "crimp" around the plate that must be re-crimped with another special tool.

Local gunsmiths don't have the special tooling and usually attempt to drive the cross pin and the plate out with punches and a hammer.
This ALWAYS scars the frame up and batters the plate and pin.

Since they don't understand the purpose of the crimp, many just assume it's a burr and file it off, RUINING the frame.

For replacement either send the gun back to Colt, or to Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters:

Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters
1330 Center Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
(412) 766-6100

Either is fully equipped to do the replacement with the right tools.

To prevent further problems, always use snap caps when dry firing these newer style Colt's.

Other than the trouble replacing the firing pin, that's about the only weakness of these otherwise tank-like revolvers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks A1A and dfariswheel. I was just wondering, I'm having my share of Colt problems lately. I took your advice and called Colt today. I'll ship my Lawman to them right after the holidays, they said they were going to be closed after this Thursday for Christmas.

Have a happy holiday everyone!

Dennis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts