Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to town this evening to look at a 4" Diamondback .22, what a disappointment! It was supposed to be in excellent shape with box and paperwork. Not even close in my opinion. While I was there also looked at a 4" Diamondback in .38,appeared to be in about the same shape.

Then stumbled across what I believe to be a 4th issue blued 2" Detective Special. Has shrouded barrel, and Colt logo rubber grips.
It appears to be as new as a used gun can get, looks like it was fired two times, and can only see turn line if held in the light.
It has the blue plastic box and paperwork.
Serial # D22XXR. Paid $300 for it.

Don't know what the going rate for Detective Specials is, but thought this one needed a home. Now my OP has a friend in the safe, and won't feel alone with all the S&W's.

PC945

·
Registered
95 Posts
PC945,
Great find! I just wish I would have found it first.(just kidding)
May I ask where in Nebraska you found it. I live on the Eastern side of the state. I've been looking for one for some time and while I have found every rare D frame made(Magnum Carry, 3" and 4" DS-II's), I can't put my hands on the right 4th issue Det Spec. Again, good going!
Darnell

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gents. I never really looked at the Colts much, was always in search of S&W 22's until I purchased that darn Official Police in 22, now it seems like I spend more time looking at Colts than anything else.
dghuppert,
I found this one at the same place as the O.P. The Scheels store in lincoln. I only get to town once in a while and usually make a stop there to see what they have in for used guns.
Its a funny place to purchase used firearms. They have some so overpriced that it isn't funny, and then once in a while they will have a gem that it my opinion is underpriced. That is where I try to help them out and take it off their hands!

I don't know if the new Scheels store down the road from you in Omaha is the same way, as I have only been there once when they first opened. If is is, they are worth keeping an eye on, If not pay the one in Lincoln a visit now and then, some time it might pay off.
If you happen to beat me to a deal there, let me thank you in advance for saving me some loot, as I can't seem to pass on a good deal when it comes to Colt's or S&W's.

PC945

·
Registered
45 Posts
PC... you got a steal of a deal on that Dick Spl. Many of us would pay $400, or more, for that. Are ya going to shoot it? (I hope so. If not, they get yersef another one ta shoot! That's what I had to do since both of mine are as new as used can be.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unless the Diamondbacks prices were really out of line I'd pop for them first.
Around here (Louisiana) Diamondbacks are not to common. DS and variatants are more likely.
The .22 Diam-back would be a good grab at a reasonable price. Will he bargain or has he got the last known model in the Free World?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DHART, I will have to shoot it sooner or later, I can still hear it calling my name even after I put it in the safe.

Robin,
Both Diamondbacks I looked at seemed to have been carried and shot alot. They both looked like they had not been cleaned since new.
They had quite a bit of blueing missing, around both sides of the muzzle, front sight, and front edges of the cylinder.
The actions on both of them seemed off, don't know if it was due to them being really dirty or something else. also neither seemed to lock up very tight to me.
Grips also had more than the normal amount of dings.
They wanted $600 for the .22, and $500 for the .38.

They just did not seem to be close to the Excellent used condition I was looking forward to seeing.

As far as I know, they won't budge on their used gun prices until it has been there at least six months, something tells me these will still be there.

PC945

·
Registered
95 Posts
PC945,
Scheels in Lincoln is one of my favorite places to go. I've bought a number of guns there. I was in Lincoln a couple of weeks ago and was not able to get to Scheels, and of course now know that was a mistake as I missed out on what I've been looking for. I usually stop in there every month or so, you're right about their pricing on used guns- either too high or a really good deal. Omaha hasn't had too many deals, I did get my S&W Model 19 there for $299, which I thought a very good deal. My DS-II 3" came from Omaha Scheels also, it too a good deal. They have a 3rd issue Det Spec in excellent conditon, no box, and want $399 for it. I'm going to wait and see if they mark it down.
Anyway, congrats on picking up a sweet revo!
Darnell

·
Registered
26 Posts
You got a very good deal...I have a Diamondback 22, 4", a Detective Special 38, and a Python Blue 4", all of which I shoot and love. My favorite place to shop is Gunbroker.com or Auction Arms.com..Prices are a bit high sometime, but you can get a steal if you check often. Diamondbacks & Pythons and more, come up all the time...Buddy Hackets Nickel Python is up for sale now....Take care.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts