Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do the guys here that own them think of the Browning 1911/22?. Been thinking of picking one up, I like the retro looks of them and it seems that the folks that own them really like them.

If you own one did you upgrade the sights,? pretty small for aging peepers to pick up.

Been having some arthritis problems recent thought it might be a fun useful pistol to have with little recoil.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
My shooting buddy has one. I've shot it a few times and although it fired and functioned fine, I didn't like the fact that it's not a full size pistol. That in itself would be a deal killer for me.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks- the smaller size of it would not be a problem for me, light weight low recoil, operation same as a full size 1911, cheap practice ammo, light slide retraction, makes me interested in it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I too would not be a fan of the smaller size. I have conversion kits that work great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like mine except for the magazine safety; every time I pull the slide back to be sure its empty I then have to insert an Empty mag to lower the hammer. There are ways to disable the mag safety though. Recoil spring guide is a plastic type material. Oddly the Browning website doesn't show a parts diagram for the gun. They have responded well to my phone calls.

Great fun to shoot. Mags are easy to load & hold 10 rounds; HillJak makes a dandy mag loader which makes the process easier. Sights are fine for me & my trifocals. Bang away at 4" steel at 25 yards consistently.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I've got one & pack it quite often,as far as it not being full size is not a problem it's an advantage & I've got large hands.As far as the sights go they are a little difficult to see @ my age but I don't use them very often because I'm not interested in shooting tight groups.I can keep all the rds on a 12" disc @ 7 yds point shooting w/no sights between 8 or 9 seconds.I carry it w/cci mini mags in it,I've had it for a couple yrs now & have had no problems w/it

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
We have one, actually its the second one. We traded the first one for one with an ambi-safety. We also have a 380-1911.
These are nice small frame shooters ino.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
I've shot both versions...as my Brother is a big Browning fan and owns 'em both.

I would not hesitate to buy either one...

...currently, my only Browning is a Buck Mark.

I had a Browning Auto-5 "Humpback" in 12 gauge...same Brother now owns it.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
They make good hip pocket or blue jean jacket pistols to slip into a pocket if you need to grab something and go check things out.
Just about exactly the size of a 1903 .32 so holsters can be alternated.
I have both the short & long slide versions, as well as the 380, and like all of them.

rayb

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just took a Browning 1911/22 back to the ugly hut, after jumping though the PRC paper works and hoops, did not shoot it yet but..

First impressions are- damn it is nice- a quality midget retro 1911, in .22 rimfire, recently been demoted to .22 from .44/.45 due to a medical misadventure so looking forward to getting it to the range and smelling gunpowder again after a long, long gd dry spell.

Got the PRC allowed retro 4.25 inch barreled version, seems to be a very well made pistol, finish is a parkerized type over machined aluminum frame, damn nice double diamond walnut grips, with hex screws. Easy to rack the slide and controls are where they need to be.

Sights are WWII midget sized 'retro' they will do, but gonna look into a upgrade of some type.

Not nice-

Only one magazine included. Out of pocket cost have more coming in

Plastic guide rod.

Magazine disconnect- will leave it alone for now.

Will get my midget 1911 to the range pretty soon couple of mags inbound. Wife says she likes the Browning "its cute" bleh I hate that lol.

probly gonna be her gun. :)

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Kev! Been wanting one for a while- Seems to me its the gun Colt should have made, a retro version with a bit better sights in 380 would have been a great modern cats PJ's replacement for the Colt 1903/08 imo. Have never seen a 1911 new Browning 380, but I bet they are pretty nice pistols.!!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Discontinued- seems the good stuff always is, that's why I am going to stock up on magazines. * May write Browning a letter "We want a retro 1911 set up midget forged aluminum frame 380, with better sights- remember the Colt 1903/08? Colt sold hundreds of thousands of them."??

I am sure they will be glad to hear from me. lol

* And parts Browning seems to be stingy with them.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Yea...heard that !!

I like to keep a few extra magazines for all my semi-auto pistols...and alot more for my semi-auto rifles.

A semi-auto rifle or pistol without magazines is just a club or bludgeon...

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I own the 1911-380 and love it. It is the most accurate .380 I have shot. I have big hands and the smaller size is not a factor at all. A friend got his hands on a 1911-22 and I am looking forward to trying it out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts