Colt Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Thanks Kev! Been wanting one for a while- Seems to me its the gun Colt should have made, a retro version with a bit better sights in 380 would have been a great modern cats PJ's replacement for the Colt 1903/08 imo. Have never seen a 1911 new Browning 380, but I bet they are pretty nice pistols.!!
I agree. My brother and I are big fans of Star pistols especially the Model F/FR .22. So the Browning 1911-22 was our kind of .22.
When Colt came out with their Government Model 380 it was more like the Star's and less like a 1911, when imo it should have been a scaled down 1911 like these.
We have several 380s; a Colt Pocket Hammerless, a Star Modelo Super S, one of these Browning 380-1911, and a FI Model D (Pony).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the little Browning 1911 in the compact size. Had trouble with the grip safety, sent it back, still trouble. I took it apart and did a little work on the safety, mostly polish on contact part with trigger slide. Works better. Such a neat little pistol. This virus thing has me housebound, so no live fire. Spad

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I put about 300 rounds through my month old retro browning 1911/22 A1, its not locking back the slide ( with three different magazines) and the grip saftey trigger interface is rough, the trigger was really bad but after pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer slowly many times it smoothed up. The magazine release is hair trigger- to light.

I called Browning and surprise they picked up the phone and answered right away- they will send me a shipping lable to send it in for repair, never did that before (send a gun back to the factory for work) On minor errors on couple of new guns before had local gunsmith fix it on my dime) have to take the Browning to a UPS hub to ship it. Browning seems to be paying attention to customer service, hoping for a good result.

If I can get it repaired and up to speed, I think it will be a really great little pistol, did not do any .22 shooting for years and was surprised at the power of some of the newer .22 ammo - CCI Velocitors etc.

Have to wait and see how it works out.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

"In my .380 experience, the difference between blowback and locked-breech operation is so pronounced that it’s hard to believe I’m shooting two guns in the same caliber. Since the 1911 fires from a locked-breech, and the Browning is a 1911 clone, I was hoping the recoil would be fairly tame. Because less recoil means faster, more accurate follow-up shots.
Right after I picked up the pistol from my local FFL dealer, I took it out of the box and bag it came in, field-stripped, cleaned and lubed it the same way I clean and lube all of my 1911 pistols. I reassembled the pistol, grabbed a bunch of Remington UMC 95gr FMJ and some Hornady Critical Defense 95gr and headed to the range.
Not only did I find the recoil of this little 18 oz. pistol to be mild, it was surprisingly mild."

Seems like its locked.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts