Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here or know of these, shorter than a normal Hi-Power, whether made by Browning to ship to Argentina or licensed by Browning to be manufactured there I don't know.

Feels like a well-balanced gun. Nice, bit heavy. Guy wants $350 for it. Looks little fired.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,090 Posts
FN-Browning had a contract with Argentina to build the Hi-Power in Argentina.
As was common with the Argentines, once the contract was finished, they got to keep the factory and production equipment.
After the contract ended, they simply continued producing guns that were not licensed by FN-Browning.

They sold a lot of these commercial models here in the 1980's and 90's.
One was the "Detective" model, which was a shorter version.
Since these weren't Argentine government guns, the quality wasn't the same or up to FN-Browning standards. They were a little rougher inside and out, and I "think" some parts didn't interchange with a Browning without fitting.
These benefited from some de-burring and cleaning up, but most owners seemed to be satisfied with them, even though these aren't up to Browning standards.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I t-h-i-n-k that the 'Detective' Model of what resembles an otherwise shorter Fabrique National Belgian High Power, is actually an "FM" which was of Argentine Make. Fit and Finish would be expected to be lesser quality than that associated with the Belgian High Power proper.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've got one. It's an FM-95 "Detective" model, made in Argentina. Great pistol, I've been happy with it. I really consider it a bargain; for all intents and purposes, it's a shortened Hi-Power. Takes the same magazines, disassembles the same. I have not shot mine much, but the couple times I've taken it to the range, worked fine, accuracy good for a short-barrel semi auto. How I got mine is a little funny story. I was at Cabelas one day looking for something else and noticed it in the gun library. I asked to take a look at it since I'd never seen one in person before, but knew about them. I wasn't planning on getting it, just looking, but the salesman started giving me the "what can we do" pitch. So I gave him what I thought was a lowball offer of $300. To my surprise, they accepted it, which was a fair savings off their sticker price of $365. Had to get it then.

The FM-95 will take standard Hi Power magazines; I've since added a couple FN magazines with external springs--that's the type with a spring at the base of the mag that will throw it free of the mag well when you push the eject button, if you're not familiar with that already. Unfortunately, those aren't that cheap compared with other non-drop-free mags out there.

Finally, I've noticed there appear to be two versions of slide markings for this pistol. On the right side, some versions have a large outlined capital lettered "DETECTIVE" and others have it much smaller and subdued, which is what I have. The fit and finish is not quite what you get with a true Hi Power, but externally, it's hardly noticible. Most of the rough finish is on the inside, and even then, it's not much.
IMG_3151.jpg

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got one. It's an FM-95 "Detective" model, made in Argentina. Great pistol, I've been happy with it. I really consider it a bargain; for all intents and purposes, it's a shortened Hi-Power. Takes the same magazines, disassembles the same. I have not shot mine much, but the couple times I've taken it to the range, worked fine, accuracy good for a short-barrel semi auto. How I got mine is a little funny story. I was at Cabelas one day looking for something else and noticed it in the gun library. I asked to take a look at it since I'd never seen one in person before, but knew about them. I wasn't planning on getting it, just looking, but the salesman started giving me the "what can we do" pitch. So I gave him what I thought was a lowball offer of $300. To my surprise, they accepted it, which was a fair savings off their sticker price of $365. Had to get it then.

The FM-95 will take standard Hi Power magazines; I've since added a couple FN magazines with external springs--that's the type with a spring at the base of the mag that will throw it free of the mag well when you push the eject button, if you're not familiar with that already. Unfortunately, those aren't that cheap compared with other non-drop-free mags out there.

Finally, I've noticed there appear to be two versions of slide markings for this pistol. On the right side, some versions have a large outlined capital lettered "DETECTIVE" and others have it much smaller and subdued, which is what I have. The fit and finish is not quite what you get with a true Hi Power, but externally, it's hardly noticible. Most of the rough finish is on the inside, and even then, it's not much.
View attachment 22530

Thanks for all the info, you and everyone, there's one for sale for $300. I'll think about it seriously.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts