Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local dealer has a 4"/.38 CDB that appears to be in almost new conditiion @ $600.
I have never seen a CDB in this finish. Another local shop says colt never made a CDB in this finish.
Does any one know about this piece. Does the finish justify the price?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
First off, WELCOME to the forum!

What you call brushed steel, I strongly suspect might be electroless nickel which sort of looks like a "brushed steel" in affect. Regular nickel would be very shiny. Colt never made any in "brushed steel".
Colt did make some of the DBs in the duller electroless nickel and the ones I have seen were usually in 4" 38SPL. If in fact this one is in electroless nickel, it would be a steal at that price. That said, let me CAUTION you, some 4" 38SPL have been "hard chromed" (after bluing stripped)(by unscrupulous individuals) and they very much look like electroless. A HC Diamondback would be worthless to me other than as a shooter and they can be found for less than $600. Usually the HC looks darker and has a more matte finish than the EN. But be cautious, I would have to see the piece to tell you for sure, but maybe you have someone locally that could help you tell the difference. Good luck.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT I'LL KEEP ONE .357,
JUST IN CASE!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 04-27-2004).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also, the E-Nickel has just a tinge of yellow color/tint to it whereas the HC is very white or silvery - No yellow at all ! ! ! This maybe hard to tell if you're not used to the two finishes unless they are side by side. But I would think you could tell the HC because of it's complete lack of anything but white/silver coloration.

Hope this helps some!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting statement about the difference in the look of chrome and elnic. I have a 4" 38 DB that dates to '71 and since I've had it for the last 6 years has had a yellowish dull look, not a "in your face" bumper chrome look that you would expect. It does not have what I have always expected of elnic, which is a small orange peel effect. I always thought the nickle was giving itself up to the underlying copperplating. Maybe it is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, JJones33,

That's the case. You get a bleed through of the copper.

Also, the electroless nickel finish was called ColtGuard if I'm not mistaken.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts