Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone, If your a real Colt guy you'll call them stocks, not grips.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Oh great, the new guy is already correcting people. YIKES !!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If we're not REAL Colt guys, can we just call them the wood or rubber thingies that are on the opposite side of the shootin' end ?

FYI, some of my Colt FACTORY packaging is marked with the word grips.

FYI, in reading through many different COLT firearms catalogs, it states what type of GRIPS come on each gun from their Autos to the entire Revolver line. Hmmmm

·
Registered
68 Posts
This reminds me of the argument about whether it is a "clip" or a "magazine."

We all have better things to do--do we not?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
It takes a Ruger guy to step in and argue whether there's enough time to argue.... LOL /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm having fun, if you're not, you're doing it all wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
look`s as if we might also have an english teacher here!! lol. i must agree with the original post,they are called stocks. the screw that holds them together is a stock screw, and the pin in the frame is, you guessed it,a stock pin. english teacher,please pardon my spelling and grammer as i use the offical kentucky versions. we talk that way so anyone above the ohio river cant understand us!!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
We dont nead a pole to tell us whuts write and whuts rong.
They both will werk jest fine. We jest dont like bein corected. Specialy when we aint rong.
Especialy when Colt themselfes uses both werds.
Smith & Western uses won werd and they get along jest fine.

Stock screw, grip screw who kares ? We all no what it meens.

Jest dont make cerections or try two make uther peeple look bad and weel all get along jest fine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
We dont nead a pole to tell us whuts write and whuts rong.
They both will werk jest fine. We jest dont like bein corected. Specialy when we aint rong.
Especialy when Colt themselfes uses both werds.
Smith & Western uses won werd and they get along jest fine.

Stock screw, grip screw who kares ? We all no what it meens.

Jest dont make cerections or try two make uther peeple look bad and weel all get along jest fine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said...I think.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
This thing refuses to allow me to vote. It claims that it already has a vote from my IP address. That is a crock. Did it have anything to do with where I placed the mark?
It really doesn't make a lot of difference. We all know what we're talking about.
I'm as guilty as anyone of refering to stocks as grips, even though I was told, in my early years, that they were grip panels or stocks.
I think it was Bill Jordan who said the chunks of wood on his gun were stocks and the grip was what held on to them.
I think we've called them grips for long enough that it has become proper to address them in that way.
Most of the people who manufacture them call them grips. Some of the custom smiths still say stocks, but whatever we call those things, we know of which part we're speaking.
What really hurts my old ears is to hear some expert refer to a magazine as a clip. Now there we're talking about two entirely different parts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
"Stocks", even though proper, does not sound right to me. Maybe it sounds OK if they are stock stocks (as in factory) stocks...but when it gets over to such things as Stag stocks and Ivory stocks, I much prefer to hear and say Stag grips and Ivory grips.

Plus we all know that Woodstock was a concert and not a stock/grip type. So, to really make sense, wood stocks should really be called wood grips.

Wooden you have to agree? I'll think I'll stock worrying about it and concentrate on the more important issue of if it's OK to call a revolver a pistol...or not.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I always figured stocks were on rifles and shotguns, pistols and revolver have "grips", like "gun fighter grips".
Rugers we call grip panels.

Whatever works for you, it goes bothways ,same as clips and magazines as far as I'm concerend, I know what one is referring to,in a conversation. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Do what you will guys, but don't be surprised if some of the oldtimers on the COLT forum don't answer your question if you refer to them as grips. Good luck, you may need it.

Hey who gave me five stars???????

·
Registered
764 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I always figured stocks were on rifles and shotguns, pistols and revolver have "grips", like "gun fighter grips".
Rugers we call grip panels.

Whatever works for you, it goes bothways ,same as clips and magazines as far as I'm concerend, I know what one is referring to,in a conversation. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
For what it's werth (i bet that English teacher is going to wip me for that one), the five stars came all the way from opperdoes, the united kingdom of the Netherlands.

Dick, I rate you very high because of your expertise on Diamondbacks.

Fair to say that I also rated his greatness dfarriswheel with 5 stars. And that was prior to my post of the spitting Diamondback!

Along the way I bet there are a few more guys how deserve a big thumbs up for there contributions to this great forum!

·
Registered
74 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone, If your a real Colt guy you'll call them stocks, not grips.

Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are an English speaking Colt guy then the "your" in your message above should be spelled "you're" or "you are".

Please don't take offense, I just couldn't resist!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just checking the stiff....errrrr, human factor on this board.

Gunsmoke, Are you sure your...you're....not from Dodge City? If you are, then I'm Matt Dillon.

Hey, you guys have sense of humor.

Later,

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sorry , Matt I'm a stranger in a strange land!

A proud Diamondback.22 Lr owner from the Netherlands.
That's the great nation west of that tiny country they call Germany. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Haven't had the pleasure yet of visiting the States but who knows what the future brings.

(Lets start with a rise in my paycheck)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry , Matt I'm a stranger in a strange land!

A proud Diamondback.22 Lr owner from the Netherlands.
That's the great nation west of that tiny country they call Germany. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Haven't had the pleasure yet of visiting the States but who knows what the future brings.

(Lets start with a rise in my paycheck)

[/ QUOTE ]

Gunsmoke, I grew up watching the tv series "Gunsmoke". It was a western story from Dodge City, Kansas. Just wondering if you had any ties back to Dodge City. Great user ID.

Gunsmoke tv series webpage

It's good to see a Colt guy from abroad.

Later,

1 - 20 of 37 Posts