Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What were the years of production on these holsters? Anyone here have one of these?

I just bought one for my S&W Model 39 9mm. I figure it is period correct and it seems to be a well made rig.

Best,
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
I seem to remember reading that the Federal Man was one of the first holsters with a thumb snap. Perhaps Red knows more about that.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I purchased this because I liked the brand , color and price.
It does have the snap . I only have an 8” SAA, but my
2nd gen 7.5 currently being paid off through forum member

Attachments

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Bucheimer used to be headquartered across town from me...it was great being able to go there and buy whatever I needed at the wholesale price and even items from their seconds table much cheaper. They were making the "Federal Man" line into the 1980s at least...maybe until they closed their doors in the '90s.

Reactions: cda926

·
Registered
686 Posts
I seem to remember reading that the Federal Man was one of the first holsters with a thumb snap. Perhaps Red knows more about that.
I do know. It was G.R. Bucheimer and Al Kippen who invented the thumsnap; and it appeared in 1957 on their Guardian holster:

1955.jpg

I hold this catalog page as a 1955; I can't explain that one. The patent was filed in 1957, issued in '59. How the rest of the gunleather world was able to proceed without leave from the patent holder is also something I can only speculate about. Certainly Chic Gaylord was among the first to follow.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Bucheimer used to be headquartered across town from me...it was great being able to go there and buy whatever I needed at the wholesale price and even items from their seconds table much cheaper. They were making the "Federal Man" line into the 1980s at least...maybe until they closed their doors in the '90s.
IIRC it was not too far from Patches 15 Below.

Here's my Detective Special in a Bucheimer Federal Man.

and a Colt Police Positive in a Bucheimer Perfect Fit with a double dump pouch.

·
Registered
686 Posts
With a 45 auto, holster has the black shiny painted on plastic finish common to LEO leather in the 70's.
View attachment 669515 View attachment 669517
Yup; it was called Spray-Lac and especially the California officers used it to keep their holsters parade ready. But of course multiple applications of it caused a significant buildup, to the point that the basketweave ones became almost smooth again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts