Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this holster in for my 1950 OP. I was wondering the time range during which it might have been made along with any other info someone could share about it. Marked "31-54"(according to the Bucheimer thread
on the S&W forum, the 54 actually refers to the MK III range, but so far my OP fits fine.

Thanks in advance.

Tecolote

·
Registered
701 Posts
From their 1962 catalogue:

The Marshall is still mentioned on the cover of their 1968 catalogue. I expect the design was made from the late 50s to the late 70s.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Red. There is a scan like that one on the S&W forum thread re Bucheimer from the 1975 catalogue(I think) which doesn't have the inset showing the draw and the 4inch barrel length is not offered, so this is much appreciated. Now to have fun practicing the draw before I head to the range...

Regards,

Tecolote

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had a couple of those type of spring-loaded holsters, a Bucheimer & a Hoyt, and while they're old-school cool I do not care for the draw from them. I prefer a standard draw-from-the-top belt holster. Both of the ones I had were angled for strong-side carry but had a trailing edge opening, which would be good for crossdraw but was awkward for strong-side draw and was esp awkward for reholstering.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drawing from it is easy. You can pull either striaght up. or pop it through the spring. I haven't got reholstering down pat quite yet,but figuring out how these vintage holster were supposed to work is part of the fun.
I love to get the Sheriff ofr my DS and the 4 inch OP, and a Lewis for the 6 inch OPs.

Regards,

Tecolote

·
Registered
701 Posts
Drawing from it is easy. You can pull either striaght up. or pop it through the spring. I haven't got reholstering down pat quite yet,but figuring out how these vintage holster were supposed to work is part of the fun.
I love to get the Sheriff ofr my DS and the 4 inch OP, and a Lewis for the 6 inch OPs.
There is more than one version of the "Sheriff" style, which appears to have originated with Clark, the predecessor company to Bucheimer-Clark; or Lewis, the latter being best known:

Leather Personal protective equipment Arm Leg Footwear Black Footwear Leather Boot Shoe Antique Metal Sculpture

As you can see, the pocket was sometimes omitted.

·
Registered
701 Posts
There is more than one version of the "Sheriff" style, which appears to have originated with Clark, the predecessor company to Bucheimer-Clark; or Lewis, the latter being best known:

View attachment 43647 View attachment 43648 View attachment 43649 View attachment 43650

As you can see, the pocket was sometimes omitted.
And:

Leather Brown Handgun holster Belt Scabbard Leather Turquoise Fashion accessory

For some reason the Forum image system doesn't care for my pic of the Clark (floral) with the pocket :-( so it's missing from this post. Note that the Lewis spring doesn't reach the top of the cylinder pocket, while the Bucheimer-Clark and Clark versions do; and that the last black Lewis image uses an entirely different spring and styling more commonly associated with crossdraws such as Safety Speed (but never found with pockets). I have a 6" version of this one in my own collection.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Red;
Thanks for posting those pics. Were pocketless holster made for revolvers, or just for autos?

Tecolote

1 - 9 of 9 Posts