Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bucket list thread got shut down because no guns were involved in it to that point. This was going to be my next post and is perhaps the most important of my bucket list things because it helps me make a living. Its my "shooting shack." Heated and air conditioned. A permanently mounted pistol machine rest in one window, a bench for sandbag rest rifle shooting and a permanently mounted chronograph bar out front. Target butts at 25, 100, 200 and 300 yards. Small metal target range for pistols and submachine guns not visible from this location.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
459459: I have both as 1917s and have 2 modern S&W's M22s.
I know accuracy varies gun to gun but in your expearience how do Colt 1917s stand up against Smiths? It obvious you built a great shack for shooting, of course there is a jealously factor from my point of view. Do you use machine rest in your shooting handguns?

Jim in oregun:D;)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim. I use the machine rest for most but not all of my handgun testing. It takes the eyesight and flinch factors out. I have only owned a few each of the two 1917s so I am no expert. I have never noticed a major difference between the two.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
He has written articles for many years and very good ones I might add. His articles on reloading are the best ever and I use loads from articles years ago that he wrote. Don't let this go to your head Mike.:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh yes, MLV writes books.....mmmmm, kinda like we collect colts....
Humble man, love shooting colt single actions, lever guns, buffalo rifles...
Thanks Mike!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, glad to have been of help. Don't worry about my head getting big, if it hasn't by age 68 it probably won't.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
I'll hop on the bandwagon here and say that Mike once invited me to his house and downstairs to his gun room back in 1988. This was when Yellowstone was burning and we went to visit our daughter in his town. We had mutual friends, both deceased now who gave me his number. He showed me some guns including a Triplelock Target, K-32, and a nickel 7 1/2" Colt Frontier Sixshooter that was for sale. One of those custom shop guns from the 80s. I remember a window downstairs where a deer once jumped through. I brought my Colt New Service Target .44 which is why he showed me the Triplelock. There were a couple Sharps out, too. If you don't have his book "Shooting colt single Actions" you should check it out. Mine has fallen apart I looked at it so much. His other books I have are holding up well so far. All must have books for anyone into old west guns and actually shooting them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My bucket list thread got shut down because no guns were involved in it to that point. This was going to be my next post and is perhaps the most important of my bucket list things because it helps me make a living. Its my "shooting shack." Heated and air conditioned. A permanently mounted pistol machine rest in one window, a bench for sandbag rest rifle shooting and a permanently mounted chronograph bar out front. Target butts at 25, 100, 200 and 300 yards. Small metal target range for pistols and submachine guns not visible from this location.
Livin' the good life. You've earned it.

One of my favorite hobbies is bullet casting. I wish I had half your knowledge.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Yes "MLV" definelty is one of the best writers around! I keep one of his books; "Shooting Sixguns of the Old West" by my chair all the time and reference it constantly. As "Wyatt Burp" so appropriatly stated in his previous post above; "Mine has fallen apart I looked at it so much".......

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys, I am truly touched to have such knowledgeable (and friendly) readers. Often I feel outdated with all the black gun stuff but certainly not amongst you all.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
It's my own personal hope that you revisit some of the testing you did in the past with the new powders of today. So many powders discontinued that l just loved to shoot and today they are replaced by new stuff and hard to compare with old stuff. 4756 was my go to powder for 9mm, never tried a better powder but now it's gone. The companies have done a poor job in replacement powders and little information to go by.

I have all the top manuals and they still list powders no longer available and nothing on the new powders. So you end up with a net search to compare burning rates in the hopes you might find something that shoots well. This big change by the powder manufacturers really sucks and I don't think they see how it hurts their business. You would think they would test the powder and do loading data before they send out new powders. Lol I won't buy it with no data on what it does.

Anyway thanks for listening to my rant and I wish I had a setup like yours I could test the new powders on.

Jim

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Just to add to that, if you published a book on reloading I would buy it. Powder companies need guys like you to build data and I can't imagine more fun that the powder companies buying you powder to test. Myself I won't buy a pound of powder to try out without data so a smart guy like you could get them to pay for your fun.

Jim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts