Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is much talk about Bucket Lists nowadays. I began mine about age 13 but didn't know to call them Bucket Lists. One was to fly in a B17. That one I did in 2007 in this one. Actually I got two flights for the price of one because an oil line popped on one engine. They had to feather the prop and come back in to land. I admit the feeling was interesting to look out the portal and see one propeller standing still. I got a photo of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My wife and I traveled with my work for many years, it was fun. My retirement was going to be my wife and I going state to state to the best gun shows and seeing the sights. Debt free and just enjoying each day as it comes along. She died just before retirement of cancer so my bucket list is long gone. Do it today and don't wait...

·
Registered
201 Posts
MLV, a B17 ride is on my list too. You've inspired me to move that up the list too! When I was just starting out in work, living in Houston, I went to the massive annual airshow and passed up a ride in a B17. IIRC, it was like $300 for a flight. Seemed like too much to me then - wish I'd done it.

Older and wiser now, one of the best things I've learned is to take the things you want to experience (bucket list items) and start scheduling them. "Some day" often comes too late...or not at all.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Just saying do things today because you never know what tomorrow brings. Happy to say I have filled most of my bucket list..

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually don't have much of a bucket list anymore unless it would be to win the NRA BPCR Silhouette Championship. Fat chance considering I've only finished in the top 10 three times in 31 years of participation.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I always wanted to shoot in IPSC matches with my stock Colt 1911 and I made C class with my Colt. I wanted to shoot subguns in a match and after years of shooting I came in second place with my Thompson. I wanted to hunt deer with a handgun and took one the first year the state allowed handgun hunting, best venison I ever ate. Just small things on the bucket list but fun anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
My sincere condolences to you and your family.

My wife and I traveled with my work for many years, it was fun. My retirement was going to be my wife and I going state to state to the best gun shows and seeing the sights. Debt free and just enjoying each day as it comes along. She died just before retirement of cancer so my bucket list is long gone. Do it today and don't wait...

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
It was never on my bucket list, but Martin Caiden the writer, had a WWII German JU 52 he called Iron Annie, that he flew and wrote a book about. I flew with him upfront a couple of times and there is even a photo of me in the book that is improperly identified. It was quite the airplane and I have an autographed copy from Martin. Here is the book. https://www.amazon.com/saga-Iron-Annie-Martin-Caidin/dp/0385133502 I have otherwise pretty much completed most of my bucket list except for winning the lottery, LOL

There is much talk about Bucket Lists nowadays. I began mine about age 13 but didn't know to call them Bucket Lists. One was to fly in a B17. That one I did in 2007 in this one. Actually I got two flights for the price of one because an oil line popped on one engine. They had to feather the prop and come back in to land. I admit the feeling was interesting to look out the portal and see one propeller standing still. I got a photo of it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I flew in that same aircraft earlier this year out of Dallas, part of the Collings Foundation tour. $450 now. I wanted to do it for years but kept finding a reason not to. Did it this year and LOVED it. I'm going to do the B24 when they come around next year. To everyone who has something like this on their bucket list - do it now. Anything could could happen tomorrow.

Airplane Aircraft Aviation Vehicle Aerospace engineering

Airplane Aerial photography Flight Bird's-eye view Aircraft

·
Registered
158 Posts
They had a B17 at the Bar Harbor airport this summer. Told my wife I had to do it when I saw it. It was on my list and off 2 days later when I found out it was $425.00 for a 20 minute flight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't think people fully appreciate how much it costs to operate and maintain these aircraft, $4000 - $5000 per hour. These aircraft are national treasures and I am thankful a boatload of volunteers give their time and money to keep them flying. I am glad there are non-profits like the Collings Foundation that are farsighted enough to keep them available to anyone who wants the experience. They could be gone tomorrow. I thought $450 for a 1/2 hour flight was very reasonable. I plan to do it again. You can't put a monetary value on experiences like this.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Bucket lists things.

MLV. So Awesome!

I wanted to live out West as a kid, find a real dinosaur (anklyosaur fossil) and hang my shingle on Main Street fixin Colts!
I wake up every day doing just that!
Plus...I found me a great gal my age with a 700 acre farm: complete with Chickens, milk cows, hogs, turkeys, horses and plenty to do a couple times a week. And the best part? My 13 year old son loves it all!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your wife. God Bless

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
MLV. So Awesome!

I wanted to live out West as a kid, find a real dinosaur (anklyosaur fossil) and hang my shingle on Main Street fixin Colts!
I wake up every day doing just that!
Plus...I found me a great gal my age with a 700 acre farm: complete with Chickens, milk cows, hogs, turkeys, horses and plenty to do a couple times a week. And the best part? My 13 year old son loves it all!!
Now we know why you moved to Wyoming. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.