Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Colt Agent via the internet. This is one of the budget finished revolvers in gray parkerization. My problem is this. When I received the weapon the cylinder bolt refuses to drop and the weapon can not fire. I was offered my money back but I want the pistol fixed instead.

The local revolver smith tried a parts replacement with a new bolt. Took forever due to his saying Colt no longer supports this model. He had to get the part from a surplus dealer. It did not work. I am not comfortable hand fitting anything in a D frame lockwork and need to find a smith that might make this revolver function reliably.

Is this possible? Is it true that Colt no longers supports this budget model? I have heard as well that the Colt aluminum frame, in particular the budget ones are not good candidates for repair if they break. Last but not least if it can be done is it worth it? I did not pay much for this piece and might prefer to simply replace the whole gun!

I realize this is a bunch of questions but since I have recently been revisiting my revolver passion and looking at the Colts, this seemed the best place ask them!

------------------

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I want to add that I did call Colt and speak with customer service. A fellow named Glen said that Colt would be willing to look at it but that they no longer make parts for it and while they "Might" be able to fix it, it would depend on parts availability. When pressed he stated a "50-50" chance of being repairable by them.

I am leary of sending the revolver to Colt and paying shipping to get a "50-50" maybe we can fix it.

I suppose the question I need answered most...Any one have a Gunsmith out there with a supply of parts and the skill to diagnose the problem as well as fix it?

------------------

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
First, I'd bet the farm that Colt WILL fix your revolver.
The Agent with the parkerized finish is simply a "D" frame Colt, and although Colt doesn't make major parts anymore, I'm sure they will be able to repair it. They have no way to tell over the phone that in spite of what you told them, the gun could have other problems.

The probable reason for the "50/50" statement, is that they don't know for certain what ELSE might be wrong with it, and if it did have major problems, they might not have parts.
It's common for non-Colt qualified 'smiths to alter something else in attempting to replace the bolt.
This is just "CYA" for them.

If you just don't want to trust them to do the repair, there's also Cylinder & Slide Shop. These people have an excellent reputation for doing factory-quality repairs on the older Colts. They're in Nebraska.

As to aluminum Colt's, quality, and repairs, the only difference in the "D"s is the frame material. All other parts are steel, and they are as repairable as any gun.

These Colt's are not as desirable due to the parkerized finsh, EXCEPT to people who intend it to be a carry gun. Your Agent is well worth repairing. I'd go for it.

My best advice: If it was mine, I'd send it to Colt.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 07-01-2003).]

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
Sounds like a burr in the lockwork. Take it apart and look for burrs that will not allow the bolt to reset. Absent that, send it back to Colt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a burr. I have already pulled the lockwork down. The bolt (part # 56076) slides off the rebound lever(part # 56901) as the trigger is pulled or hammer cocked. This rapid fall off the rebound lever snaps the bolt back up into the cylinder notch locking up the revolver.

I would think a new rebound lever would allow the new bolt (already installed) to function properly, however when I attempted to swap one from an old Detective Special the bolt would continue to fall off after several tries. This part must need fitting or there is something happening in the lockwork outside my knowledge and comfort zone.

I will probably send it off to Colt and bite the bullet. We will see what happens. If nothing then on to Freemont Nebraska!

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts