Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I thought I'd try my hand at 'Fitz-ing' and old Colt. This is a 1915 Army Special that I bought for $170 that had a cracked forcing cone. Broknaxl sent me a two inch barrel which I threaded on. Then I gave the gun to Robin Dietrich to fix the backspin issue it had and install a front sight blade. That was $100, and the grips were like $35. So I'm into it for $305 if my math is right.
So after shooting it and playing with it for a while I decided that I like it, but I don't really love it. So out came the hacksaw, files and sandpaper. It's an ideal gun for this project because it has virtually no finish so I think it will be easy to blend the patina in when its finished with some cold blue and steel wool. So here's the start of my project. Tomorrow I will bob the hammer and shape the grips and finish it.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Great photos and narrative on your interesting project, twaits!

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to your updates.

What do you do/use to create such great, detailed photos? What lighting do you use? Do you shoot from a tripod? What camera and settings?

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great photos and narrative on your interesting project, twaits!

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to your updates.

What do you do/use to create such great, detailed photos? What lighting do you use? Do you shoot from a tripod? What camera and settings?
Nothing special. Just a Cannon Powershot digital hand held and shop lighting.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I have been thinking about a fitz for a while please make sure you post pictures when you get it finished. It looks like you got a great start

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
twaits you an I are kind of soul mates! Bravo - your Fitz job is about as good as it gets. Taking an old has-been and giving it a future is a great thing - rewarding beyond money.

People condemn cold blue but it has its place, especially in reworks and touch up. Real good results are possible.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like it. Did the sight come off your cracked barrel, or was it already mounted on the 2" bbl?
The sight was hand made by Robin Dietrich Dietrich Gunsmithy - Home
He said it was actually easier to make a new one out of bar stock than to remove the old one and reinstall it. I can't recommend Robin highly enough. He is the only gunsmith now that I allow to work on my old Colts when it's something that I don't have the expertise to fix. His work is first class.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
twaits you an I are kind of soul mates! Bravo - your Fitz job is about as good as it gets. Taking an old has-been and giving it a future is a great thing - rewarding beyond money.

People condemn cold blue but it has its place, especially in reworks and touch up. Real good results are possible.
Thank you! This mean a lot to me coming from you as I admire your work tremendously.
Cold blue works fantastic to blend in or fake patina. The work I did to Muddyboots avenging angels was all done with cold blue and steel wool as well.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Great not-quite-pair. I see a nice challenge, actually multiple challenge, curling those brass back frames around to bird head shape, then reworking the one piece grips to fit. But I think I would leave the TG as-is. The high hammer has to stay high either for both hands firing or one hand fanning.

It can be fun to dream ----------->

1 - 13 of 13 Posts