Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
44 Special M R Never seen that before.... match round? I have no idea and a quick Google showed nothing. 125 gr would have to be pretty small for that large case.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Well, it means Mid-Range now and must have then, as well.

Dick

·
Premium Member
4,064 Posts
Could it have been a round ball gallery load?
You nailed it. Round balls weigh about 125+/- grains.

2 .429 balls in a .44 Mag

No .38 Super, since this pre-dated the Super by one year. However, consulting my Sierra manual, these loads are still usable, with the velocities being perhaps a bit optimistic - likely a result of the velocity measurement devices in use at the time.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I guess it wasn't a round ball-Suydam gives the round ball wt. in the .44 Russian as 105 grs., but I have a book entitled Pistol and Revolver Shooting by A. L. Himmelwright, first published in 1908 (mine is the 1923 revised edition) and Lo and Behold! On pgs. 196 and 197 he lists a handload for the .44 Special as 3.8 grs. of Bullseye behind a 125 gr. Ideal bullet 429239 and in the remarks column states "Popular Light Load." The term Mid-Range is also used for other loads.

That particular bullet is called a "round nose collar button,"' designed to approximate the wt. of a round ball, but with a lubricating groove which also increases the bearing surface, desirable with smokeless powder. (I got that from Googling "Ideal bullet 429239.")

I try to learn something new every day, so thanks to all. Now, if I could just remember what I learn. That's the tough part!

Dick

Hi, po18guy, I started typing this long before you posted. :) I still haven't figured out how to check for recent posts before hitting the "Post Quick Reply" button."

Reactions: arjay and ei8ht

·
Premium Member
4,064 Posts
Thanks, never would have thought of a .44 being used as gallery round. Interesting...
Gallery shooting was much more popular in those more genteel times.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Thanks, never would have thought of a .44 being used as gallery round. Interesting...
It was really .44 Russian, that enjoyed the greatest popularity for Target Shooting, and, the .44 Special just sort of inherited any of the .44 Russian Bullet types, that anyone may have wanted to be using.

I recently got a really nice 'IDEAL' Mold which casts a flat both ends Wadcutter for .44 Russian or .44 Special ( or .44 Magnum, for that matter ).

Not sure what weight Bullet, but, it is a fairly short Bullet, hardly much taller than it is wide.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I knew of the popularity of the 44 Russian for target shooting in the past but the term gallery makes me think of something like the old pump 22 short guns at the fair. An arcade type affair, if you will.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Here is an image of a Paper Target Bullet whch I think was designed by Himmelwright, which would likely have been originally meant for .44 Russian, even though the Cartridge seen in this image looks like .44 Special.

Hosted on Fotki

There was a very similar shape style Bullet for 9mm Luger and .38 ACP also...but the central 'spire' or whatever one would call it, was more like a little Cylincer shape, just enough to allow the Bullet to meet the Feed Ramp alright, so, much taller 'Spire' than what we may see in .38 Special Wadcutters, and the little 'Spire' was not tapered or curved sided, as it is with the Bullet shown above.

I am looking for the 'IDEAL' Mold for the 9mm/.38 ACP one, in case anyone has any leads for me.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have seen the Lyman Collar Button bullet in .38 but have not seen the .44 . Time to dig out the pre 1960 Ideal / Lyman catalogs !

Eddie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts