Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,:eek:

I sifted through threads several pages back and didn't see anything pertaining to my question, but forgive me if this has already been asked.

So I am shopping for a .22 lr and a few dealers I visit have both a Buntline and a New Frontier. They are unable to tell me anything about the guns as they "can't be bothered with a .22". And maybe it doesn't help that I'm a gal? I already have a big, bad rifle so I don't need a hand-cannon, I'd just like to have something to plink with. And personally, I find it kind of questionable that they don't know enough about their stock to help a customer make a more informed decision, but whatever.

I would like to know if anyone here would be so good as to inform me if the Buntline and the New Frontier are the same gun, or not? These dealers I spoke of tell me that they are the same gun, and Google is confusing me even more.

Thank you for your time, and I hope everyone's enjoying the game!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I cannot think of anything worse than a person brushing another off simply because "they are a ................." Everybody deserves a civil and decent response to a legitimate inquiry. I sincerly hope the snobs you ran into are definitely in the minority.

I am indeed sorry for your experience.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
There is the New Frontier Buntline 22 which is simply a New Frontier with the 7 1/2" barrel. The Colt Frontier Scout, Colt Peacemaker 22, and Colt New Frontier 22 were all offered in a "Buntline" version. The Scout version had a 9 1/2" barrel and the Peacemaker Buntline 22 and New Frontier Buntline had 7 1/2" barrels.

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
I would recommend the adjustable sighted New Frontier .22 with serial number under G199,000. These guns were made in the 1970's and were better quality than the ones made in the 1980's with the cross bolt safety. Plus you have the ability (with the correct cylinder) to use .22 Magnum cartridges in the gun as well as the .22 LR.
A gun with 4.4 or 6 inch barrel will be a little handier than the 7 1/2 inch barrel model.

- - -Buckspen

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Any chance you can post a pic of the 2 revolvers in question? The buntline was offered in a few models as suggested. 22 revolvers need the cylinder cleaned to insure reliable ignition. The original buntline with an alloy frame has a screw that has to be removed to do this, which is easy to do with the right screwdriver, but the later new frontier has a spring loaded cross pin that requires no tool. I have several of these models and prefer the 6 in. Barrel the best.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Buntlines go back to the Frontier Scout models (fixed sights) and might not be magnum capable, if the end of the barrel is flat across it is a dead giveaway it is LR only. First year Buntline Scout 1958. First Buntline with dual cylinders 1969 Own several of these babies commemoratives too. The Ferrari Dino was looked down on for years but is now accepted by the red car crowd

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum. I'm very sorry for the rudeness of your dealers; there is no excuse and I do not believe I would buy a gun from either of them.

Lots of real good advice above. I'd only suggest that you sign up at gunbroker.com and search there. First, find a reputable dealer who will talk with you and give you a copy of their FFL for transfer purposes when you find the Colt .22 that you want. Best of luck and keep us all informed on your progress! :cool:

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
9JR, welcome to the forum. You have some good information already, but I would also invite you search the forum archives for the models that you are curious about. There are some good photos available in older posts.

I have one of the later Buntlines in the Peacemaker series. This version has a 7.5 inch barrel, which is about as long as I would want to go for a comfortable plinking revolver. It also has the fixed sights, which to my mind makes for a better-looking gun even if it doesn't allow you to adjust the sights for the best accuracy achievable with your hand, arm and eye.

I agree with the others about the misnamed "dealers" who wouldn't give you much help. They aren't bringing much to the table when it comes to fostering interest in and support for shooting sports.

I hope you get the gun you want. Whatever that turns out to be, come back and show us some photos of it once you have it. We like pics here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.